Skip to main content

Cookbooks—I'm Slipping, Or Am I

This morning, I was pondering a purchase of a new cookbook I have discovered. I read about it the other day in an article that so thoughtfully extolled its lemon icebox pie that I had to bake the thing immediately. That's another story, but I did want the entire cookbook—Screen Doors and Sweet Tea by Martha Hall Foose. In my pondering, I was thinking I would stop by a Borders later this week and pick up a copy. But then I noticed my iPad sitting right next to me, and then I discovered the book is available through the iBooks application complete with full-color photos, and then I bought it. Digitally. Within mere minutes. And I read three whole pages before privately scolding myself for contributing to the downfall of bookstores. What was I thinking?

As I said, I have only read three pages, but it flows like a memoir only more interesting. And the tone and language and the recipes tug at my southern heart strings. Even the title does that. One of my favorite sounds as a child was the sound of my grandmother's screen door smacking the wood frame as someone would enter the house and shout, "Hey." And one of my favorite taste memories is of sweet tea drunk from a Ball jar while sitting just the other side of that screen door. I'm going to like this book, I believe, even if I never cook a thing from it besides the lemon pie.

But here's what I miss already? I can't dog-ear the pages or stick ragged bookmarks in the pages I want to come back to or slop ingredients on it. I suspect if I were slop Karo syrup, cornbread batter or pimentos on my iPad, I'd have more than a mess to deal with. And I can't put the book on the shelf with the other cookbooks I have. And I have many of them. See, here are the ones I use most often (note; there are six Ina Garten books to the right of these). I keep them on a shelf above my washer and dryer just steps away from the kitchen:

And here are the others that have been banished to the basement shelves because they are too many to keep in the laundry room.


Every one of these is dog-eared and smeared and filled with bits of paper. Some of them hold recipes I have found online and printed and then stuck in between pages. When I open up the cookbook, these pages fall out, and I am delighted: "Oh, THAT'S where I put that recipe."

I won't be able to do that with my digital copy of Screen Doors and Sweet Tea, but I'm willing to see if there are new and unimagined benefits to owning it on an iPad. We'll see.

Comments

savannah said…
mr. moose gave me a gift card from barnes & noble and for a second i thought, yes! i'll buy a nook and buy ebooks when i'm traveling and then, it dawned on me, i LIKE carrying a book or 2 and magazines when i travel. i like having a book in my purse when i know i'll have to wait. anyway, i took my new john besh cookbook with me when we drove to charleston just in case we stopped at the farmers market in bluffton...
xoxoxo
dive said…
You can never have enough cookbooks, Robyn.
You really must get a hard copy of Screen Doors and Sweet Tea because a cookbook isn't a cookbook unless it is dog-eared and stained with experimental recipe detritus.
Ana Raquel said…
As the proud owner of Ana Raquel's Private Culinary Library, with over 6,000 cookbooks, and in which Martha Foose's book is part of, I totally enjoyed reading your post!!!
My books are full of marginalia and pictures that I have added, which are priceless and could not be appreciated in an electronic book. Just like you said, how could I take a look at the beautiful displays of my books, grab them and feel them through one of those electronic books??? I am sure I will get one of them, for other reasons, but I will keep my collection and add more extraordinary books to it!!!
Ana Raquel

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...