Skip to main content

We're Dancin'!

For Husband's 50th birthday, I gave him four ballroom dance lessons. By that, I mean I signed us up for four lessons at the Fred Astaire Dance Studio. Neither one of us knows a thing about dancing, and he has suggested several times that he'd like to learn. We go to wedding receptions and sit quietly at the table, fiddling with our plastic wine glasses and watching other people out on the dance floor. We go on cruises and see other people cutting it up in the lounge after dinner, while we slump down into an overstuffed couch and order another gin and tonic. We'd love to dance, but it has never been part of our experience, and our inhibitions are paralyzing.

I was raised by strict Baptists who took me to an even stricter church where dancing was strongly preached against, along with just about anything else most people think is fun. That kind of beginning stunted me, I think, and made feeling free on a dance floor akin to sky diving. Yikes.

But, here we are taking lessons, just four that are designed to give us a small taste of what we'd expect if we committed to more. We've learned the basics of the rumba and a swing step, tonight we'll learn something else and tomorrow evening is our final lesson. Of course, we've forgotten most of what we learned last week, but this is a first step. After this, we'll have to decide if we want to sign up for more and really learn this thing.

Fred and Ginger we aren't, but we don't need to be in order to have the same sort of fun other people seem to have and to feel free on that dance floor that has always seemed to be barricaded with giant cement blocks. Here's to breaking down barricades!

Update: We've decided to take more lessons after this, as many as 20 just to get us out of the Absolute Beginner status.

Comments

Shan said…
Awesome Robyn! That sounds like a great thing to learn as a couple. I am extremely inhibited about the partner dancing but never minded dancing crazy alone. :) I would only be able to dance so close to my hubby and even that would seem so strange. Boy don't I sound fun.
(I'm sorry I've not visited in a while. My feed got lost when I switched computers and I have been so bad about keeping up with people! I think I'm a bit like the groundhog in my appearance. You know I've made it through winter if I start showing up again.)

I wanna see a video of you and the Mr. when you get done with your lessons!
dive said…
Yay! Go Fred and Ginger!
I'm with Shan: we want to see the results of your lessons (and no posting a Fred and Ginger video).
Robyn Martins said…
Hi Shan. It's nice too see you again. I know I've seen you quite a bit on Facebook, but being in blogville is more like knocking on someone's door that sending a quick text message. Come on in and tell me all about your long hibernation? hee hee

Dive, no videos, I'm afraid. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of shoes I should wear for this thing—I don't wear heals, and the clunky shoes I wear with jeans just don't seem to go with the occasion.
dive said…
Red sparkly shoes.
I believe this is a great gift, and your Mr. really appreciated it. My Mr. isn’t into dance at all, so I don’t stand a chance of convincing him to take classes. I would love to learn how to dance, both ballroom and modern dance. I would like to see you dance. Please make a video.
I believe this is a great gift, and your Mr. really appreciated it. My Mr. isn’t into dance at all, so I don’t stand a chance of convincing him to take classes. I would love to learn how to dance, both ballroom and modern dance. I would like to see you dance. Please make a video.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...