Skip to main content

Like Being Hit with A Giant Hammer

We're on stage three of the renovation—or is stage seven. I've lost count. And the floor installers have begun today by hammering and sawing and generally making so much noise in the room above me that I'm sure they are pounding directly on my skull. This very bad cold I have is in stage three as well, or whatever, and has moved into my head so that my ears are stopped up, and everything sounds like I'm hearing it through a tunnel. So, a giant hammer is pounding its way through a giant tunnel and landing on my head.

I have arranged to board poor Tiger beginning Friday because we'll be out of town for several days, and he can't be here once they start all the sanding and staining and finishing, but given the trauma of today, which will continue straight through until the end of tomorrow, I'm thinking about crating the little guy and dropping him off as soon as possible. Since I can't be boarded, I guess I'll go camp out at a coffee shop for a couple of days. I have an article to write and a book to read and a 500 Words story brewing. So, stop by if you're in the neighborhood, but don't mind the pile of used tissues that will be surrounding my chair. And if I accidentally sneeze in your direction, pretend you don't notice. I'm having a rough day.

Comments

dive said…
I'd love to join you for coffee and tissues, Robyn, but it's a bit of a swim so I'll pass this time.
Camping out in coffee shops sounds a great way to escape all the noise.
Get well soon!

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...