Skip to main content

The Nest Has Been Disturbed

We're having some remodeling done in our house, which in one sense, is a nest. We have a large family room that was added onto the house about 10 years ago, and almost immediately after we moved into it, Husband started seeing things we could have done differently. And now we're finally getting around to doing them.

We're getting rid of the Lowe's quality window shades and replacing them with plantation shutters. We're painting the walls, going from a blueish-green to a dark yellowbrowntanish color. We're shrinking the size of the fireplace in order to lower the mantel in order to mount a TV above it; and behind this television, we're having a stone wall constructed that will go all the way to the ceiling. We're throwing out the carpet that is now spotted with coffee stains and cat puke and replacing it with wood floors. And we're replacing the furniture, which is showing its age anyway.

The problem with the room has always been a lack of focus. You've got a great fireplace in the center, but the TV is off to the side. So where do you put the furniture so that you can have conversations with people yet settle in to watch a movie? It seemed disjointed, but by putting the TV above the fireplace, there is now a central focus, and furnishing a room like that is easier.

Now, the problem with all of this work is that I am home most of the day, so where is my nest? Where is my sanctuary? I have none. I have moved to the basement where we have a comfortable family room proxy and my office, but the noise above is deafening at times. It sounds like these worker guys are dropping anvils all day and stomping around in Frankenstein's shoes. They do something with the wiring, and dust showers down from an overhead light fixture right on my desk. They move the scaffolding across the floor, and I feel as though the ceiling is going to cave in on my head. And they scare the cat.

I know it's shameful to complain about work being done when we volunteered for this situation, but I miss my nest. I spend time at coffee shops now and then, but it's not quite the same as being comfortable at home. They don't let you kick your shoes off and stretch out on the furniture in coffee shops. Well, it will all be over in about a month, I think, assuming everything goes according to schedule. In the meantime, I'm on the verge of asking for my own hard hat.

Comments

dive said…
Robyn, it will be so much nicer when it's all done. Enjoy the noisy builders and their terrible racket if you can and it will seem so lovely and quiet when they've gone. The new colour sounds warm and comforting, just right for settling in to your comfy new furniture and watching old movies.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...