Skip to main content

Like a Dog On Its Hind Legs, Wearing Mittens

I'm a cook. I plan meals, and I prepare them from scratch, mostly, and I enjoy it as long as I get a break now and then. I use both ovens and all four burners and generally have a good time in the kitchen. But at the moment, I feel as though I'm all thumbs. Or maybe I have no thumbs at all. And I'm wearing mittens. Picture a standard poodle, or maybe a Labrador, standing on its hind legs in front of a stove wearing mittens, an apron and a blind fold.

The problem is, my stove/oven is broken, and a repairman won't be here until tomorrow afternoon to fix it. It happened on Saturday evening when I came home from orchestra rehearsal. I knew I would only have a couple of hours between the rehearsal and concert to provide dinner and get dressed, so I had made a casserole using up leftover turkey ahead of time. I turned on the top oven, and within a minute or so, sparks were flying. A small flame was working its way around the heating element and spitting like a sparkler on the fourth of July. We had to turn off the breaker to the oven to get it to stop, and my kitchen has been dark, so to speak, ever since.

To complicate things further, Husband had dental surgery yesterday and was limited to clear liquids for several hours until the anesthesia wore off, and for several days after, he's limited to soft things not requiring chewing. He can eat pastas and hearty soups and eggs, but that's about it. All day yesterday, I was forced to warm broth and thin soup in the microwave, and it felt like cooking with my hands tied behind my back. Like I said, like I'm wearing mittens.

Last night, I heated a Lean Cuisine for myself, and it was like eating a shoe. A shoe made of cardboard. Have you noticed that all of those frozen "meals" smell the same when they're heated no matter what they're made of? It doesn't matter if you're heating beef or chicken or carrots, it all comes out smelling like something not too similar to food. I had rice with something like an egg roll, and it was a meal I'll never have again, if I can help it. Fortunately, there was one serving of the turkey casserole left (we've been warming it in the microwave a spoonful at a time), so I was spared from eating dry bread and old lettuce.

Today, I'll have to go through the grocery store looking for soft, microwavable food to serve, that or things that can be cooked on an electric griddle. Pancakes. We'll be eating pancakes until the oven is fixed. In the meantime, I'm all thumbs. I have no thumbs at all. I'm a fish out of water. A man without his tools. A dog on its hind legs wearing mittens, an apron and a blindfold.

Comments

dive said…
Eww! I hope that repair man makes it through the snow and sorts out your cooker, Robyn.
I've got a freezer full of home made soups if you want them. I don't think I can get them there before the repair man comes, though; the Atlantic is too wide (and too cold right now).
savannah said…
crock pot? bbq grill? (hey, from personal experience, it works even when it's cold outside)
Madame DeFarge said…
Hope you get it sorted soon. I'd be reduced to making endless quantities of porridge.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...