Skip to main content

It's A Week for Parties

We aren't really the party types—we only host one or two a year, and we only attend one or two a year at somebody else's house. But this week is a week for parties. The holidays do that to you, I suppose, make you gussy up and go out on a night you when you would normally sit at home with your feet up on the ottoman, a second glass of wine in hand and a cat on your lap.

This week, Husband's company hosted its Christmas party, which is always held at a lodge outside of town. The place is a lovely setting, with the entrance lined with lights that contrast against the dark and snow-covered grounds, like you're driving into a winter wonderland somewhere in the wilderness. It's actually a camp ground, but you forget that in the dark and in December. We have the dinner catered by a local restaurant that makes great appetizers and desserts people actually fight over, in a nice way. With a blazing fire in the center of the room, everyone sits around with their friends from work, and hardly ever with people they don't know. One of the other wives and I joked about how it's like junior high—you walk in the room and hope for a "good" table. We scrambled to claim ours, and the evening was fine. This year, we actually did sit with some people we don't know, and they were really interesting and funny. At the end of the evening, everyone gets their Christmas bonus and calls it a night.

Yesterday, my English class held its Christmas party, which is humble in that its held in the class room with no decorations or bonuses to take home. But no one cares. We eat, and we all like that, a lot. The students brought in fried beef of some kind (we couldn't figure out what, exactly), tinga (a great stewed chicken dish that's served over crisp corn tortillas), and different salads. They played a gift-exchange game and did a fill-in-the-blank exercise using traditional holiday verbs. I gave them their ornament gift bags, and one of them, Euphemia who is such a funny and sweet woman, gave me lots of chocolate. She and I read together quite often, and she giggles over her mistakes. She seems to have a healthy attitude about learning.

Tomorrow night, we'll join old friends at a winery that is truly in the wilderness, or at least it feels like wilderness out on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Dinner will be served in a lodge-like room, with the host and hostess who are the wine-maker and cook serving each course with a different variety of wine. It's always fun and noisy with 25 people or so talking and guffawing all at the same time. We all leave with a bit of a glow, if you know what I mean.

So, we aren't really the party types, as I said, but this week, I welcome every occasion to gather with people I know and respect and enjoy. Plus, I get to wear my red velvet tunic, which I've been saving for just such an occasion. After this, back to feet up on the ottoman, a second glass of wine and a cat in my lap.

Comments

PF said…
I was hoping you'd mention our Rainbow Hills event, and I loved your description!! :)
dive said…
Whew! One Christmas party is more than enough for me, Robyn, but feel free to enjoy as many as you can get.
MmeBenaut said…
We're doing a similar round of Christmas parties at the moment too Robyn; it's enough to make a girl weak at the knees.
I love the way your students celebrate and admire the way that you get so much pleasure from teaching them.
Merry Christmas to you and your family too, dear friend.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...