Skip to main content

I'll Give Them An Ornament If It Kills Me!

The English class for which I tutor will be having a Christmas party next week, and we always exchange gifts. The teachers and volunteers give handmade gifts, and the students pool their money and give us each something like chocolate or a mug. Last year, I think they gave me a mug filled with chocolate, actually, and it was very nice.

The main teacher always makes miniature loaves of banana nut bread because she's good at that sort of thing, and last year I made cookies for everyone. But this year, I thought I'd try something different. My friend Kyle, who writes for a weekly paper and is a wealth of information about gardening and art and cooking, included a recipe for applesauce cinnamon ornaments in her article last week, so I thought I'd give those a shot. I've never made them before but have always wanted to know how.

In this recipe, you mix applesauce, cinnamon and white glue, roll, cut out with cookie cutters and bake all day long at 175˚on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. I made pine trees and stars, and everything was going great until about an hour before they were ready to come out of the oven. I couldn't leave well enough alone and decided to turn the ornaments just to make sure they would be dry on both sides. All that did was stain the fronts of the ornaments with spots of the non-stick spray, like I had stuck them in a bag of greasy potato chips. They looked hideous, and so an entire day's work was wasted.

But I refused to give up. I painted them with glitter paint (as my daughter says, anything can be salvaged with glitter paint), which turns an otherwise homey and primitive looking craft into a sparkly and potentially gaudy one, but I still sort of like the results. After I finally got something I wouldn't mind giving to someone else, I realized my ornaments made pathetic little gifts, so I put together a gift bag. I love gift bags.

This one includes a simplified recipe (equal amounts of applesauce and cinnamon but no glue, rolled, cut to shape and allowed to dry for 24 hours with no baking), the painted ornament and two cookie cutters. I would have given the students the recipe I used, but I thought the simpler one would be easier for them to translate in case they had trouble with the English.

At first, I was a little ashamed of my gifts, but now I can't wait to give them out. The students all have small children, and they are always looking for easy and inexpensive activities to do with them. Last week, I showed them how to make paper snow flakes by cutting folded paper, and next week we're going to make origami wreaths. Now, maybe they can make cinnamon ornaments at home, too, without the grease spots.

Comments

dive said…
Those look great, Robyn, and apart from the glue and the glitter they'd probably taste great, too.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...