Skip to main content

Dripping with Christmas

This past weekend was just dripping with Christmas. Eustacia came home Friday for her winter break from school, which started it all off. Then the orchestra rehearsed that evening for our Christmas concert—at some point, the new performing arts center will feel less new, I assume, but at the moment, it still seems brand spanking, and I get excited just walking through the door. Then we performed the concert Saturday evening after one more rehearsal. And Sunday was filled with tree decorating and cookie baking and movie watching.

As far as horn playing goes, the Christmas concert is never very challenging. A childrens' chorus is the feature, and they belt out tunes they have rehearsed for weeks. One of the boys sang a solo like a cherub—Once in royal David's city stood a lowly cattle shed—and he created such a lovely, quiet setting with just his clear and simple voice. All the other kids stood on risers and fidgeted with their hands and tugged at their clothes. They picked their noses and stared off into space and whispered to each other. Our conductor said that trying to get them all to comply was like herding cats. The way they mentally wander off so easily, I think it must be more like holding water in a sieve.

I can't be too critical, though. I discovered something about myself—if my music is not very difficult, I don't remain engaged with it as I should, and I am more likely to make silly mistakes than when my music requires constant attention. And I am more apt to be distracted by shiny things. I discovered something else, too—I have a nervous habit of adjusting my bra strap, and at the last concert, I caught myself doing it at least twice. In this new hall, with the seats up high looking down on the stage, that's a pretty unpleasant habit to have. Uncouth, in fact. I was careful not to tug at my own clothes even once at this concert.

I didn't play the second half of the concert, so I was able to take a seat with my family. The trimmed down group reconfigured to become a pit orchestra for a performance of Amahl and the Night Visitors. They did a great job, with guest soloists from around Ohio who were absolutely wonderful. I have never seen the production before, nor heard the music, but I did know the story. When I was a kid, one of my older sisters had a flannel graph set of Amahl and the Night Visitors. She must have been teaching Sunday school or junior church or something, and I have vague memories of sitting at the dining room table and making up my own stories using the flannel characters of Amahl and the three kings. I remember a crutch, and maybe there was a drum of some kind. I remember loving the story back then and was so eager to see it acted out after all these years.

So, after a weekend dripping with Christmas, here is my tree in various stages of closeups. When I was little, I used to lay on the floor underneath our tree, look up in the branches and imagine being small and climbing up to explore the lights and ornaments and garland. So, here you go—climb in and enjoy the tree.

Comments

dive said…
Simply beautiful, Robyn. You certainly have a gift for tree decoration, along with so much else.
Have a great Christmas!
savannah said…
what a lovely story and what a gorgeous tree, darlin! xoxoxo
PF said…
Beautiful tree pics!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...