Skip to main content

Christmas and the Gift of Pretending

Today is all about packing and sorting out the house because we're leaving for Georgia. We go there every year for Christmas because most of my family lives there. My sister from Chicago will join us as always so that all four of the Wells Girls (my sisters and me) will be together. That feat only happens at Christmas, and I look forward to it all year long.

Eustacia has been home from school for about a week, and No. 1 just arrived last night. We opened our presents from each other right away, talked for a while and then called it a night. So, now we'll combine our family unit with the other family units down south. This gathering is a tradition that we've maintained since 1974, and it has evolved as people have joined the family through marriage or birth, but this year, I wonder if we're being stretched a little at the seams.

One sister has been estranged from her husband for years, but he continues to share Christmas with us because he's like a brother, and he has no other family. We take him in for a few days and pretend everything is OK even though we know it isn't even close. Last year, I got the sense my "brother" was only going through the motions and was just there for the sake of his daughter. This year, I expect he'll have one foot out the door, and we may never see him again. When a marriage fails, the entire family loses a member, but pass the cornbread dressing and light the tree.

Despite our tradition, we had momentarily discussed having Christmas here at home with just the four of us, but then my mother announced she would be moving in with Sister No. 1 after Christmas. She's feeling her age, it seems, and needs to be around other people, but she wants to host Christmas one last time in her house. Well, how can you say "no" to that, so we're going. We'll work around her confusion and forgetfulness, her repetitive stories and inability to operate the television remotes and, even in this case, pretend everything is OK even though we know it isn't even close.

So, I have developed a theory. People are always saying that Christmas is about friends and family, but I think it's about pretending for the sake of friends and family that all is well because we all need at least two days a year to forget our troubles. Don't you think? A few days to set aside the trashed marriage and the decaying brain and the vast differences in opinion on things like politics and social issues and church issues—in my family the list of those differences really is vast, as is true with most families, I think.

So, merry Christmas to you all, and I hope for you and your families, you can give the gift of pretending. It's a pretty valuable one.

Comments

dive said…
Merry Christmas, Robyn!

I hope you and all of your family have a marvellous time and that you make your Mother's last Christmas in the old house a very special one.
MmeBenaut said…
Yes dear Robyn, I do agree to a certain extent. I do hope you have a wonderful time with your sisters; at least you'll have some help with your mother!
I wonder where all those people stay; does your mother have a boarding house?
Alifan said…
Happy Christmas Robyn, enjoy the family.. without my John, and even with the boys it is not the same, but lovely for families to be together and forget all the troubles even for a while.

I wish the very best for the coming year for you all.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...