Skip to main content

Bread Redemption

OK, so I shamed myself the other day by baking bread one could use as a weapon, and I'm still nursing the wound that proves it. But yesterday afternoon, before I threw out the remaining dough in the refrigerator, I decided to give the baking another shot.

I used some cool bread baking dishes I bought from a local potter and set the oven to 375˚. 40 minutes later, I had two loaves of really good bread. So, see? I really can bake bread after all. And I thought I was a bread-baking loser.

Comments

dive said…
Mmmmmmm that looks so good.
kyle@sift said…
I now know why your first....and uh...second attempts failed...I'll fill you in. I am so glad the recipe finally worked. It's a staple at our house.
Scout said…
Hey! What's wrong with the second attempt?! It was great with pumpkin butter this morning.
Shan said…
Heck, I'd probably have even eaten the first batch. Looks and sounds like you've made a definite success in this one though. numnum

Have you ever made that no kneed bread that sits over night and looks like a flying saucer disc (at least my mom's does)? It is so so delicious too and super easy. I've yet to try it because I don't tend to think ahead well and bread isn't something I ever think I should make so it's hard to remember to try it. I'll pass on the recipe if you don't have it because I know you'd like it. :)
MmeBenaut said…
Looks positively yummy. You're a clever woman Robyn and I do like the sound of those pottery dishes.
kyle@sift said…
Oh, Robyn...you said you had tried it several times....this time you got it!
Scout said…
Shan, I haven't tried that. Send the recipe, and I'll give it a shot.

Kyle, it sort of worked this time, but it still doesn't look as good as your bread, and I need Joe the Potter's bread things to give it shape.
Madame DeFarge said…
Looking good. Impressed by the bread as a weapon though.
Alifan said…
Hope the finger is better Robyn! I have some dried yeast and strong flour in the cupboard, been meaning to bake bread again.. used to do it all the time in the pub, but must be getting lazy.

You have inspired me so will get baking bread again.
Shan said…
I found the recipe. Next step is to type it. My scanner won't seem to work without ink. Ah, probably couldn't read my writing anyway...

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...