Skip to main content

Romania-Mockingbird Mash-up

Part One

Eustacia arrived home safely from Romania last night. Yay! We're so happy to have her back. Her re-entry adjustment is going to be difficult, although she's got her junior year in college to plan for with just two and a half weeks to go before that begins.

She brought home lots of pictures, and I borrowed a few. Here:

This is the road sign at the turn off for Pro Vita, which sits just at the edge of Valea Screzii.

Here, Lea (another volunteer) and I are setting up the art show featuring the kids' craft work.

This is what happened when we tried to drive up to the sheepfold after too much rain. The Landrover got stuck, and the jeep had to come to the rescue and then take us up to meet the shepherds. The men doing all the work are Mihail and Gabriel, sons of Father Tanase who founded Pro Vita.

And here we are in the shepherds' hut sampling the cheese and pollenta—dirt floor, canvas walls, great cheese.

Part Two

I post my weekly columns at Open Salon just to give them a little more coverage than Small Town Newspaper can provide, and the most recent one about To Kill A Mockingbird made the Editor's Pick and was featured on the front page of the site—I swear, the honor gave me a little buzz. Here's a snapshot of my screen that day, which I captured because I was so excited:

I followed the online comments all day, both at Open Salon and at Small Town Newspaper, and here's what happened: at Salon, 35 or so people wrote in to discuss the book, to talk about their impressions of Atticus and the symbolism of Boo Radley and how the film differed from the original story. It was great to see how much people have thought about this American classic. In contrast, 70 people commented at the newspaper site. Seventy. I'd be impressed except of those 70, only three or four said anything at all about To Kill A Mockingbird. The rest went back and forth calling each other "racist" for not liking Obama or the equivalent of "anti-Christ" for liking him. It was shameful.

I have wondered if it's appropriate for me to post these columns on another site, but because I don't get paid for them, I can do whatever I choose with them. I'm glad I've got Open Salon as an option, because without it, I'd pull my hair out and beat myself over the head with a stick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...