Skip to main content

Kiddo, But for How Long?

My birthday is coming up—next Monday, to be exact—but I won't be around to talk about it, so let me address the subject a few days early.

I'll be 48 on the 21st, summer solstice. I was born in Decatur General Hospital in Decatur, Alabama, and I am the youngest of four daughters. I've never made a big deal out of my birthday apart from shouting it to everyone I know, just in case they were to forget. I get just a few cards (one from my insurance agent), I don't get many gifts and have only been given one birthday party in my entire life. I was 10, and we had cake and ice cream in the yard.

Some birthdays have been memorable, though, despite the lack of hoopla. Husband gave me my first French horn on my birthday 10 years ago. We saw James Taylor in concert one year, my sister took me to hear Andrea Watts and the Chicago Symphony another year, and we went to a Cubs game in Cleveland on another. The year I turned 21, I was a student in a Bible college and going to summer school, and a friend smuggled in a gin and tonic in an empty Coke bottle so I could enjoy it in my dorm room. Later that night, my sister took me to a Japanese restaurant for my first taste of sake.

Yesterday, I was talking with a friend who will soon turn 50, and she has mixed feelings about it. I'm not sure how I'll feel in ten years when I reach what seems like an arbitrary mile marker in the human aging process, but what I'm wondering is if people will still call me "kiddo."

It's a nickname I seem to inspire in people, and not just one or two. I'm "Kiddo" to plenty—at the end of a conversation, more often than not, it seems they sign off with something like, "OK, Kiddo. Talk to ya later." "All right, Kiddo. Nice t' see ya."

I am a quickly graying middle-aged woman. I have two grown daughters, an increasing need for reading glasses and a sciatica problem. I am old enough to remember Romper Room, when moon landings were exciting news with all-day TV coverage, televisions without remotes, when AM radio was cool, fantasizing about some future day when I could actually own movies instead of having to wait for them to be aired on WGN and when Bobby Sherman was a dreamboat.

Still, people call me Kiddo. I'm not complaining, really. Just curious. For how long will they think that's appropriate? Here are my footprints made the day I was born—these are the tiny prints of a Kiddo. I look at my size-nines today and wonder if my Kiddo days are numbered.

This year on my birthday, I will be arriving in Bucharest, and I'll be by far the oldest of six volunteers. Not one of them will call me Kiddo, I'm sure, so maybe this will finally be the year I lose the endearing little name.

Comments

savannah said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUGARPIE!

i hope i'm the first to say that! :)

so, maybe you should start calling people "kiddo" by the by, i'm 60 and certain members of the family still call me kiddo *shrug* xoxoxox
LeleM said…
I promise to make a concerted effort to start calling you Kiddo so you won't lose that endearing name. Early happy birthday wishes to you, and I hope your trip is safe and enjoyable!
dive said…
Happy Birthday for next week, Kiddo!

Were you really born with dirty feet?
Madame DeFarge said…
Have a great birthday. I rather liked this post and the gentle contemplation of aging without feeling older. I am still called by my childhood nickname by my parents and suspect that I will be until they shuffle off their mortals.
RoverHaus said…
Kiddo! There, I said it!

To me, you will always be Scout!

Happy Birthday!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.