Skip to main content

Didn't See A Single Butterfly

I was sent on another interesting assignment for Small Town Newspaper yesterday. I drove out to the middle of absolutely nowhere to tour a new winery.

A couple of adventuresome people have an alpaca farm and decided to open a winery on their property. They have about 75 acres not too far from here—30 minutes, assuming you don't get stuck behind one of those people who drives about as fast as I could walk. That happens sometimes. At a fairly decent clip, I drove about 7 miles down a narrow, curvy road and then turned onto an even narrower, curvier road and drove another two miles. That's where the winery is, Out There. It's so out there that when you stand on the back deck of the place, you look out at nothing but rolling hills as far as you can see, and the alpacas stand there with their mouths full of grass and watch you as you contemplate the wide-open spaces. The only sound you hear is your own breathing mixed with a faint wind chime hanging from a distant hook.

It was early in the day, so the winery owner didn't offer to let me taste the wines, but he was friendly enough, and we talked about his venture with grapes and the nature of alpacas. No two are alike, he said. I asked if someone with alpacas is a shepherd, and he didn't think so. He didn't know if there was a name at all for someone with alpacas. There should be, at least in Ohio where owning the animals is becoming a huge business. We're like the Peru of North America.

I asked if he missed living in the city because I know he used to live in Cleveland, and he pointed to the view with a just a few visible neighbor farms and said, "how could I?" We sat on the deck and talked about how when you own a business, you get new ideas every day, but not all of them are good ones. When so much is at stake, you dream big but plan and execute wisely. He invited me to return in an unofficial capacity—try the wine, have some dinner, spend some money—I'd be glad to.

Comments

kyle@sift said…
Is the wine made from alpacas? I saw no grapes.
pf said…
Is this Michael White's place, the former mayor of Cleveland? Looks beautiful!
dive said…
Robyn, how on earth did you manage to persuade that alpaca to balance a tree on its head? Great photo!
savannah said…
i read this outloud to the MITM and his first reaction was, "what about the snow? are they doing a dessert wine? you know, some sort of ice wine?" When so much is at stake, you dream big but plan and execute wisely. this pretty much sums up small business, sugar! xoxox
Scout said…
Kyle, they've only planted a few so far. PF, Yes. And Dive, alpacas are very docil, you know, so all I had to say was "you in the black, stand still for a minute."

Savannah, ice wine is big around here, so I suspect these people will be making that as their business develops.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.