Skip to main content

Dear Jonah

As much as I love my cats, I love this dog. His name is Jonah, and he lives with his people across the street from my house. OK, his people are my friends, but the dog—oh, the dog. When Jonah is nosing around his yard, and I am standing out in mine, we can have a conversation. I yell across the street to him, and he wags his tail with great expectation. "Maybe she'll come over here and pat my head and tell me what a good boy I am," is what he's saying. They say that even when he's inside his house and he sees me through the window, he wags his tail with the same expectation. And when they say, "Hey Jonah, Scout's coming over," he wags and barks and wags and barks.

They may be padding the truth there, but I don't mind. Jonah has peed on my mailbox, thrown up on my patio, chewed a hole through my sleeve in a playful tussle. I've adopted this big chocolate lab the size of a small horse as my foster dog.

When he was younger, Jonah would sit at the top of his driveway, which is a steep hill, and let golf balls and tennis balls roll down the driveway. He'd watch them cross the street and land in my yard, and he'd wait for me to throw them back. He'd snatch them in his mouth, set them on the cement and watch them roll again. If no one was home on this side of the street, he'd just watch the balls roll with no return, and at the end of the day, we'd have a playground full stacked up in the grass. Now that he has a gray beard and arthritis, he doesn't play with balls quite as much, and I miss finding a collection of them in my yard.

My neighbors are out of town to visit their daughter, so I am on Jonah duty for part of this week. I go over there in the mornings to let him out—all I have to say is, "Go potty in the woods," and he does his business. I give him breakfast, rub his ears, and if there's time, sit on the couch with him for a little chat. I go back in the afternoon and then again at night. And with each visit, he lumbers down the stairs, afraid he'll slip on the polished wood, shakes off his sleep, and mumbles some Scooby-do-style dog talk before stepping out to "go potty in the woods."

Yep, I love this dog. And I confess, as much as I like my neighbors and appreciate their great friendship, I wouldn't mind if they went out of a town a little more often so I could have Jonah duty again.

Comments

dive said…
He sounds a lovely big old softie, Robyn.
Shan said…
Ohh. What a sweetie poopie! I do the same thing with my neighbor cat. I mean the hoping to have to take care of her more often and the sitting on the couch talking to her.
The kitty got scared and never goes outside anymore but when she did she used to come running over and hang out with me in my front yard or walk along with me as I watered the plants. prrrrr
I love communing with domestic animals. :)

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.