Skip to main content

Art Day—Mother's Coming Edition

I haven't had time to sit down and paint very much lately, so I was happy when Peahen posted something fun on Facebook. She agreed to make a small gift for the first five people who responded to her post who also agreed to make gifts for someone else. I signed up as quickly as I could, but do you think I could get five of my own Facebook friends to make something? Of course not, but it's OK, I decided. Not everyone is crafty. So, I altered my post and allowed five people to sign up for something made by me with no obligations to reciprocate.

I cook, knit, paint, make earrings and sew purses. Well, I used to sew purses, but that was a fleeting hobby. So, I wrote down the names of my five friends who signed up and thought about what to make for them. The FB post clearly states the gift may not be something the recipient likes, but I wanted it to be nice. Painting is the thing I'm most interested in at the moment, so I bought small black mattes and painted according to their size, choosing images I was confident in. I created these three images plus a black and white abstract image that I gave away before I took this photo. The mattes come in plastic sleeves, and I realized you can matte just about anything, wrap it in plastic, and suddenly your work looks fifty times better than if you saw the watercolor paper just laying naked on the table.

I shipped some of these off to far-away friends, and I added some extra stuff—earrings made with African beads and a knitted bookmark from a pattern Peahen provided. I love Peahen—she's such a wealth of creative energy and information.

So, what does all of this have to do with my mother coming for a visit? Well, let me tell you. She arrives today and will be with us for about a week. She lives in Georgia, and I only see her at Christmas, so spending time with her mid-year will be nice. We're going to do fun things that I think she'll enjoy, like visiting Amish country and touring an Amish farm, touring a separatist village from the 1800s that is about 15 minutes away, taking a cooking class, sitting by the pool and sipping iced tea—mine might be spiked. If she's of a mind to, I might encourage my mother to sit down with a paint brush and some paper and go to town. If we come up with anything presentable, I'll post it next week. If not, these images painted for Facebook friends will have to do for two weeks of Art Day.

Comments

dive said…
What a great idea, Robyn!

Have a wonderful time with your mother and do let us know all you get up to.

Pea and you are the two most creative people I know (you are both awesomely talented); I am so glad you keep in touch.
pf said…
Have a great time with your mama...and say hello to her from me! Love your paintings, by the way :)

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.