Skip to main content

Food of My Youth

I had a flashback experience last night over dinner.

Husband is away on a golf trip for a few days, so at dinner time, I nosed around in the refrigerator to see what I should make for my evening meal. I had set some salmon aside the day before, so I grabbed that. I grabbed the asparagus in the vegetable drawer, and then I saw it—a plastic container of leftover mashed potatoes.

My mother was raised during the Depression, so she never threw out a single spoonful of food. She saved everything and figured out how to use it the next day or the day after that, and sometimes the day after that. I remember one of her rare cooking instructions when I was a teenager, and she thought I needed to know how to make potato pancakes.

With this container of leftovers, I followed those instructions from more than 30 years ago. I mixed the potatoes with a beaten egg, some diced onion and some bread crumbs. I formed them into little pancakes, fried them in oil about 4 to 5 minutes per side over medium heat and drained them on paper towel. While this was going on, I broiled the salmon and asparagus, and within ten minutes, I had a delightful dinner for one.

I threw a little seasoning at the pancakes, just a dusting of a combination of paprika, oregano, basil, onion powder, garlic powder, salt pepper. I sat down with a glass of Reisling and my lovely dinner and took a bite of childhood.

I don't cook like my mother very often. I can never seem to pull off corn bread or coconut cake or fried chicken or fried fresh corn the way she can, but now I know I can pull off a batch of potato pancakes—fluffy on the inside but crisp and brown on the outside.

What do you cook that you learned to cook as a kid?

Comments

dive said…
Mmmm … Comfort food!
My favourite comfort cooking from childhood is "throw everything in the pot, two-day spicy winter vegetable stew" which is awesome on coooold winter nights.
kyle@sift said…
Scrambled eggs with a hideous amount of freshly grated parmesan cheese...I make those potato pancakes, too...exactly the way your mom does!
Shan said…
I love potato pancakes! But, like you haven't thought about them in years probably because I never ever make mashed potatoes.

I can't think of a comfort food I make except- for SOME reason anytime I make a pot of stew like Dive is talking about, I feel like all is well in the world and I'm a great home maker. I don't really remember this from childhood but it comforts me anyway. :)
And, come to think of it Chicken and dumplings is a good example of my Grandma's comforting food. I try to imitate that sometimes.
MmeBenaut said…
I loved this story Robyn and those pancakes sound delicious.
My mother had a few special dishes she always made us as kids but I admit that I don't make her lamb's fry & bacon, pork & cashew chow mein or potato and salmon pancakes. The one thing I do make occasionally is tuna & sweetcorn mornay. So simple: make a bechamel sauce and then add a can of tuna (not the water) and a can of sweetcorn kernels. Chopped onion is sauteed and added to the sauce. Place in a casserole dish, top with grated cheese and paprika and bake just until the cheese melts and browns a little. Can be eaten on toast or on rice or just by itself. It is a quick and cheap meal that goes a long way and is a favourite on a winter's evening. It's a little too heavy for summer. This was my stepdaughter Jodie's favourite food when she was little and she still loves it.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

Happy Birthday...

to me! Update: Since you have asked, I only got one actual packaged gift, a beautiful hand-made bracelet from a friend, but both girls were home for the weekend, and we had dinner at the lake and a relaxing weekend. Thanks to all of you for your lovely wishes!

My Sitemeter is All Bloated and Not Quite Itself

I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...