Skip to main content

Art Day—Frisket Edition

I have discovered frisket, a mask for painting. Using a stylus, you apply it to paper in areas you want to keep white, let it dry, and paint over it. Then you remove it with an eraser. It seems the perfect tool for painting birch trees, which I am partial to, so I gave it a shot.

With people, it seems best to travel in a pack with even numbers so no one ends up sitting alone. But with objects, I prefer odd numbers. I don't even think about it intentionally—I just find myself arranging in threes or fives. Here is the first scene:

And the second—I think this would look better if I had extended the fall foliage farther down in relation to the trees and had less greenery:

Then, I mixed some of the colors in the palette to create a sort of sepia color family and came up with this:

Now my head is filled with things I can paint that are white—eggs, my cat where he isn't black, flowers. What else can I add to that list?

And for some repair work: I took a painting from last week that was sort of a bust and decided to pep it up. The lesson learned here is that watercolor requires patience. You can't just throw paint on a piece of paper—you have to let it dry before giving the picture some definition:

Before / After

Comments

dive said…
Yay for silver birches! These are beautiful, Robyn. I love the autumn colours, too, even though I am dancing around to Springtime in my garden today.
Eustacia said…
LOVE LOVE LOVE. I want one.
MmeBenaut said…
Wow, I can see your skill developing before my eyes. The birch trees are fantastic Robyn. Frisket. Who would have thought?

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...