Skip to main content

Back from New York

We're back from New York, but today is a busy today. Instead of spelling out the trip moment by moment, I'll just recap it quickly with photos. That may be a great relief to some who prefer not to have to relive every single minute of my mini-vacation, those types who do not want to stop by for tea and an interminable slide show. But don't worry—I'll be back later with more details, days and days of details. In fact, we were only in New York for three days, and I bet I could turn those days into an entire week of blog posts.

First, we stayed at the Marriott Marquis on Times Square. I don't have a photo of the place, but this is what was just outside the door, so many lights around the clock that it never seemed to be night time:

The hotel is in a great location because it's within walking distance of all the major theaters and dozens and dozens of restaurants. And it has an amazing elevator system that has you waiting no longer than 30 seconds for an elevator no matter the time of day. You enter your desired floor on the key pad, and the thing tells you which elevator to use—they are labeled by letters of the alphabet. You go to that elevator, and within seconds, the doors open, and you are whisked directly to that floor. Ingenious.

During the day, Husband went to a publishing conference, and Eustacia and I hit the city. We met my niece, Sarah, and saw the Discovery Channel exhibit on Leonardo da Vinci. Did you know he wrote backwards and was never formally educated because he was illegitimate? Fascinating. No pictures allowed. Then we toured the United Nations building—more on that later:

That night, Eustacia and I met Husband for dinner at a Brazilian restaurant we like, Via Brazil on 46th. Then we saw The Addams Family, a new musical starring Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth. We had tickets for the first night of previews. It was silly and fun. It's no work of art, but I don't think it's intended to be. We waited by the backstage afterward, and Eustacia shoved the camera in Lane's face while he was autographing programs:

The next day, Eustacia and I wandered through the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I have lots of photos, but I'll just show this one of Egyptian antiquities for now:

Then we took a carriage ride through Central Park. Of all of our trips to the city, we've never done this, and I think you should just once, don't you?

Then we walked through the little park zoo, and then Eustacia owned the world on this sculpture in the park:

That night, we had dinner with Husband at The Palm and saw The Miracle Worker with Abigail Breslin and Alison Pill. It was performed at the Circle in the Square and was a powerful play. Of course you can't take photos there, but I did snap this one before it began. The furniture is suspended and raised and lowered as scenes change. Very well done.

More Later.

Comments

dive said…
Wowee! More, more, more, please, Robyn! I'd love to visit New York though I doubt I'll ever be able to afford it (it's a long swim from here), so thank you for a vicarious vacation. You and Eustacia look like you're having a blast.
savannah said…
i love your travelogues, sugar! i am soooooo going to have to ake a carriage ride next time we visit nyc! xoxoxox
pf said…
Great pics, Robyn!! I love the carriage ride photo. We WALKED through Central Park 2 years ago...would love to do the carriage ride next time :)
I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics. I haven't been to NY in several years. Really looks like you did it up right. I had dinner at the Palm the last time I was there... bet it hasn't changed a bit!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...