Skip to main content

Art Day—New York Version

I haven't had time to paint anything fresh this week, but I did find some time to play on the computer. It's been quite awhile since I've done any work in Photoshop, and I'm probably rusty with the more complicated tasks. Adding photos to paintings came back pretty quickly though, like riding a bike.

Last week, I gave you this water color impression of Times Square, a part of the city that is caustic to my delicate sensitivities—lots of flashing lights night and day and constant noise, not to mention the people. Oh, the people.

This week, I give you this:

It's a combination of the original painting blended with five photos I took while walking around Times Square. The area really wasn't as bad as I remembered, at least not during the day when the crowds are thinner than in the evenings. The half-price ticket booth is a wedge building with steps on the roof where you can sit with a cup of tea from Jamba Juice and take it all in. While Eustacia and I were doing just that, a wedding party pulled up and had their photos taken right there on the square. It was quite a spectacle.

Comments

dive said…
That is totally awesome, Robyn! And great fun, too … I love the bottom-right corner.
You were always a Photoshop Queen but marrying those skills to your paintings is a great idea.
savannah said…
as the resident techno dummy, i have to ask the obvious....can image that be printed out? it looks fantastic! xoxox
Shan said…
I LOVE it Robyn! What a great way to combine your skills!! Wonderful.

That Adam's Family musical(?) sounds really cute. Bebe and Nathan are perfect sounding for it!! One of the two times I went to NYC I saw Bebe in Damn Yankees and really enjoyed her. :)
Scout said…
Thanks, Dive. I never thought of myself as a queen of anything before. I like it.

Savannah, I scanned in the painting and then used a computer to do the rest, so it's now a printable file. In fact, I just printed it out 5x7, and my daughter is going to hang it in her dorm room.

Shan, I have never seen Damn Yankees. We also saw The Miracle Worker, a magnificent play.
MmeBenaut said…
Dive's right; that IS awesome. Gives me some idea why people rave about photoshop! There's nothing so wonderful than creating one's own original though, is there. I'd have it blown up and put onto canvas, framed and hung in your living room the moment you get home.
MmeBenaut said…
Hee hee, I just read your reply; good to see it is going to a good home.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

My Sitemeter is All Bloated and Not Quite Itself

I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...