Skip to main content

Art Day—Big Paper Edition

So, I started thinking about how I like to paint on small pieces of paper, and I wondered why that is. I decided I am afraid to work larger because a bigger piece of paper means a bigger commitment, and in a pessimistic sense, more paper to throw away when disaster strikes. But that's ridiculous, right? How do you learn if you don't take chances, even big ones? Or especially big ones.

I pushed my 5x7 watercolor paper aside and sat myself down in front of an 11x15 sheet. I chose four color tubes from the stash and dove in head first—a brave concept for me because I'm afraid of water deep enough to dive into and rarely venture into the deep end of my own pool. With a large brush, I painted wide strokes of water on the sheet but not edge to edge. I wanted wet edges to stop the colors from bleeding corner to corner.

This is the first scene I came up with. I love the sunsettishness of the sky, but I'm not sure I like the blowing-through-a-straw effect on the tree tops. Maybe.

This one is a little wilder, like a tree stand in the peak of autumn, blazing colors reflected in the water. I think this one lends itself to a photo-blending, so I'll keep it around for when I find just the right images.

And this one turned out to be my favorite, birch trees with fall foliage. Honestly, it's difficult for me to say I really like anything I paint—it's like saying I like a photograph of myself (those usually give me hives), but I would frame this one. Would you?

And finally, not to waste the trusty 5x7s, this is the road to the great unknown. It's apparently up hill.

UPDATE:
I couldn't wait until next week to fiddle with the middle image and some photos, so here you go:
Here is the flat image untouched:

And here it is again blended with images of sky, trees, foliage, and water. Water from a local lake, sky from the Mediterranean, trees from a forest belonging to some friends, and foliage from the canal trail near Small Town. Kind of like this. How about you?

Comments

dive said…
I love all of these, Robyn. The top one especially reminds me of Turner's watercolours (you'll remember me boring you with those at the Tate).

Ah, all the best roads lead uphill.
Madame DeFarge said…
I love your creative streak. I'm just no good at that sort of thing at all, so envy you.
Shazza said…
Very nice Robyn. I love rustic+forest. Very pretty. You should look into the Artist Tradng Card phenom.

I love the third one...um, could I buy that from you?
Scout said…
Dive, there is nothing boring about a Turner exhibit, ever.

Madame, how do you know you're no good at it? Sit down with a brush and paper, and see what happens.

Shazza,thanks. Seriously, do you really want that one?
Robyn, my favorite is your favorite. They're all great -- I think you work just as well in that 11x15 as you do in the smaller size.

Popular posts from this blog

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

My Sitemeter is All Bloated and Not Quite Itself

I'm tempted to let it sit on the couch with its feet curled up under a blanket, a hot cup of coffee in hand, a block of cherry almond bark Chocolove within reach, and An Affair to Remember spinning in the DVD player. I'm one of those obsessive bloggers, the kind who checks her sitemeter as often as possible throughout the day, the kind who gauges the quality of her writing by the number of readers who regularly stop by. I've become less interested in the overall number of hits and more interested in the number of repeat hits. The return visitors are the ones I long for. When my sitemeter reads forty at the end of the day, and the majority of those hits are webpals who have conversed, I'm happy. Forty may seem low to many of you, but I've only been at this since August. To me, forty is a jackpot. A few days ago, I sat down at my laptop and discovered a number somewhere in the eighties. Eighties! Yippee! Yeeha ! Hoo-rah ! I've been discovered by the webworld , o...