Skip to main content

Winter in Ohio

I will be driving to Cleveland later today where I expect to see at least a foot of snow. We don't have that much in our yard, but we've got plenty. Here, look:

This is one of the holly bushes with a snow cap:

And here is an iced-over landscape light. It looks much better at night when it's lit:

This just a bit of the deer tracks that are criss-crossed all over this neighborhood. Now we can see where they run at night when we aren't looking:

And this is an interesting snow pattern stacked on top of a piece of iron lawn furniture:

We aren't at the lake house this weekend, but we were there for New Year's Eve. There was a little snow on the ground then and plenty of ice—you can watch it creep across the surface of the lake as the temperature drops. This is a little video I shot from the dock to show how quiet and still the place is in winter. In some ways, I actually prefer the place in winter than in summer. It's more of a hideout.


Comments

dive said…
Cool!
In fact too cool for me, Robyn. Brr!
The video tells me it is currently unavailable (drat), but it looks too chilly to watch, especially with the snow coming down outside my own window.
Here's to warmer weather!
Alifan said…
Well Robyn you certainly have more snow than us where you live, suppose we are just not used to it nowadays, although when I was young the winters were much worse than now, but the farmers always helped clear the roads, and we always managed to get to school even though it was freezing when we got there..nowadays any excuse for not opening roads and schools .. but we seem to moan a lot over here about everything, and mainly because we find that the rulers of this country think so differently than the ordinary folk, nowadays it is those that have never bothered to work get more than us lot who paid our way, the government shut all the firms and railways down, and now wonder why there are no jobs,,,,

I did suggest that all the able bodied folk who were receiving hand outs could get the pavements gritted, but that is against health and safety!!!

Oh dear sound a bit like Dive whoops....

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...