Skip to main content

Skin and Bone

Why is it that the odd things happen to me when I'm quietly minding my own business? Like yesterday, I was sitting in sight of my back-yard patio and talking on the phone with my friend Jane, and I saw a little black and white cat climbing up the retaining wall.

That kind of scene puts me on alert because Mike and Tiger have claimed not just this house as their territory but anything they can see from the windows, too. When another cat crosses their sight path, their tails puff up to three times their normal sizes, and they growl and hiss and roar a terrible roar. They're like cranky, old cat men yelling, "Get off my lawn." Neither of them saw the intruder cat, so as soon as I hung up the phone, I set out to keep the peace.

I went outside and found this cat, not a little cat but a tiny kitten, confused as to how to get out of the fencing around the pool. I coaxed him out through the gate, and he immediately attached himself to me. For such a tiny creature, he's got a meow like a mountain lion, and he followed me everywhere—to the mailbox, to the trash can, to the gate. He's sweet and affectionate, and judging by his protruding hip bones, he hasn't eaten in days.

He tried to beat me back into the garage door, but I shewed him away and went inside. Out of curiosity, I went back a few minutes later, and he was waiting right by the door, meowing and calling me "mother." So, I fed him. I know, once you feed a stray cat, he's yours for life, but what could I do? I can't keep him—my two big boys would never allow it, not to mention Husband's disdain for cats. And I have no idea what outdoor-cat diseases this little thing might be carrying around with him.

Yesterday morning, mid-Ohio was enjoying 40-plus degree temperatures, but that dropped last night, and we were expecting snow. So, Husband went out to check on the kitten and found him huddled up against a landscaping light for warmth. How sorrowful and pathetic, especially when you consider the lights are on a timer and were scheduled to turn off just after midnight. We brought the kitten in the garage for the night with a little box stuffed with pieces of an old towel and food and water. He was quiet and happy all night, from what I can tell. But now, how to find a home for him?

Small Town has a no-kill cat shelter, and since no one I know can take in Oscar—yes, his name is Oscar—I'll take him to the shelter, and it's going to be a very difficult thing to do. He did call me "mother," after all.

UPDATE: After eating some mushy food, getting a warm bath and cuddling in a warm towel, Oscar has moved to the trusty cat shelter where I believe he will find a loving home.

Comments

kyle@sift said…
I just know someone will rescue him from the shelter, Robyn. They are wonderful there. They will get him up to a good weight and treat any outdoor kitty diseases he might have. I am still trying to talk a friend in to taking him. You did the right thing by giving him the garage for the night. When you drop him off at the shelter perhaps you would consider taking a food donation with you. They use Cat/Kitten Chow there and they always need unscented litter, blankets and money.
PF said…
Oh my, oh my, oh my. We had cats and then kittens hanging around our office for over a year. We fed them and gave them water and a box with a puffy towel. It just got to be too much, so we called Mary Marshall at Cats-n-Us and she came and live trapped them and took them away. I cried a thousand tears...
PF said…
P.S. Husband checked on the kitten???? Wow...perhaps we are converting him to be a real cat dad :)
Anonymous said…
He's so cute. You have to keep him!
Miz Minka said…
I wish you could send him my way. <:(
Alifan said…
Oh Robyn.. Oscar!! wish he could come here.. you did well thank goodness there are folk like you about...

My Oscar says well done..

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...