Skip to main content

I WILL Have Butternut Squash Ravioli!

And God help anyone who gets in my way.

Last week, when the girls were home, we planned a nice evening at the lake house to bring in the new year. We would play games, watch a few episodes of Dexter and maybe a movie, have dinner... So, I planned the dinner, made the grocery list based on the recipes, and hit the grocery stores. Butternut squash ravioli was going to be a key side dish to accompany the roasted duck with a wine reduction. Not a problem, I figured, since I had seen that kind of ravioli in stores before, but that was before I needed it.

I am convinced there is a grocery store law—if I don't need an item, it will be the featured special. If I need it, it will no longer be available. Such was the case with the butternut squash ravioli. I checked four local stores, and then we drove to Canton and checked there as well. Nothing.

Then, I decided I would make it on my own but would need a ravioli form to help. We went to five stores for that simple kitchen tool, and again—nothing. I would not be deterred! I figured out how to make my own dadgum ravioli, and it was glorious.

I roasted a butternut squash and mixed it with sautéed onions and a little garlic, threw in some sage and salt and pepper and made a bowl of something God would eat, to use a phrase No. 1 coined when she had a beautiful sandwich in San Francisco—"This is what God eats," she said.

Then, I made the pasta using my handy Kitchenaid pasta thingy. Then I cut the pasta sheets into circles with a two-inch biscuit cutter, scooped in the squash filling and sealed each ravioli with a fork. It wasn't unreasonably difficult or time-consuming, and it was just great with the duck and sautéed broccoli rabe.

Who needs a stupid grocery store, anyway? Who needs somebody to make ravioli and freeze it and sell it in a plastic bag? Tell ME I can't have butternut squash ravioli. I've got your butternut squash ravioli right here.

Now, I'm thinking about all the different things you can make ravioli with—spinach and feta, sausage and fennel, goat cheese and roasted peppers. Any other ideas?

Comments

mmmm YUM! but...where are my snow pics? Oh you must've meant on Facebook. Ok, zooming back there now....:)
kyle@sift said…
I thought you couldn't find the squash. You were actually going to buy frozen ravioli? I'm so glad you HAD to make real ravioli.
dive said…
WWGE? Hee hee hee.

Kyle's right, Robyn. I dread to think what goes in to supermarket readymade ravioli. Blech.
Now that you've experienced the revelation of the real thing, let's have lots more pasta cookery posts.
Inspirational stuff.
Sometimes you do have to buy the ravioli. Because it does take awhile to make it... it takes nearly an hour to roast a butternut squash. We'd have to have dinner at ten p.m., on a work day.

But making your own pasta is loads better, of course. We had homemade butternut tortellini for Thanksgiving (which I did not make) in browned butter, and it was heavenly.

You could always package some of that up and send it out here. See how it travels... then I could skip the store-bought AND eat before 10. :)
CONGRATS on making your own Ravioli It sounds delish BUT I must admit looking at the pic of the filled ravioli They look like litte Mexican Sombreros I hope I have not hurt your feelings by saying that.. ..SORRY I am really impressed thou, did you have any trouble with the filling when you cooked them? I bought a Pasta machine a few years ago because I wanted to make my now belated Mum's Polish Fried Crostoli & as I am not that good with a rolling pin I thought I would use the Pasta machine to make the thin pastry strips NEEDLESS to say I still have not used it for that OR for making homemade pasta as I found a good Deli in Sydney AUSTRALIA that sells good fresh pasta HOW ABOUT mashed potato, mixed with fried chopped onion, & farm or cottage cheese for a filling served with a lovely brown butter-POLISH PIEROGI
Scout said…
Krystyna, of course you didn't hurt my feelings. You're right, they do look like sombreros. I was so excited to make my first raviolis, I didn't even care, but I have perfected the process since then. Now the raviolis I make look as they should. The pierogi idea is a good one. We have a lot of Polish immigrants around here, and pierogis are popular. I'll give it a try.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...