Skip to main content

I Can't Imagine

Can you imagine being whole one minute and being broken the next with no warning, and everyone around you is just as broken or in even worse shape? I can't, and when I watch the news footage coming from Port-au-Prince, I can only stand in awe. Awe, as in awful. Breathtaking, as in the oxygen has been sucked from the room. Heart-pounding, as in what these people must be feeling in their chests as they scramble to find their missing friends and family.

I talked to a local pastor yesterday who is mobilizing a group of people to go to Haiti at the end of next week to help an orphanage with 146 children. It's in a very poor area several miles away from Port-au-Prince, with people living threadbare under the best of circumstances. The dormitories of the orphanage have been declared unsafe, and the kids are now sleeping on the ground. Their security wall has been destroyed, and their food supply is running out. The director and the other staff members are now trying to figure out how to keep all of these parentless children safe and fed and feeling secure. How can they possibly do that?

What I most appreciate about this pastor's effort is that he is opening up his trip to anyone with a passport who wants to come along. He doesn't care what church you go to or if you go to church at all. These people are in desperate need of help.

A few locals have commented online to Small Town Newspaper that they don't intend to send a dime to Haiti because they've already paid taxes that will go toward national aid, and they think "throwing money" at a failed nation won't help anybody (thank you, Rush Limbaugh). I lump those people in the same category as Pat Robertson who thinks this is another result of a 200-year-old pact with the devil made by a Haitian slave leader who revolted against the French. You lose, is what I have to say to them.

You lose because you miss the meaning of the brotherhood of man. In times like these, nations don't matter. Church affiliation or un-affiliation doesn't matter. All the debates about taxes and political parties and self-righteous judgment based on a myth meant to discredit a slave revolt become meaningless, not that they had that much value to begin with.

I can't imagine what the people of Haiti must be feeling and fearing. And I can't imagine not wanting to help them in any way possible.

Comments

Alifan said…
Oh Robyn it is indeed a sorry state when we cannot help those in need, it is also hard to think what they are going through, makes our sorry nation with all its debts and horrible government seem pale by comparison..

I heard they are still getting people out alive...
MmeBenaut said…
I agree with every word you've written. Are you going to go on the mission?
I wish I could take just a couple of those little orphans; but I don't think that Haiti will release their children and our country has very tough overseas adoption laws; there must be a country to country agreement in place.
Scout said…
To Anonymous, I understand the myth and that it has endured since the nation's independence. But suggest that one act that is nothing but legend is the reason behind the suffering of this nation is ludicrous. Tell that to the many Christians in that country.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...