Skip to main content

Carpel Tunnel—Tunnel Vision

I used to be a freak for knitting, but that was when my good friend and neighbor, Carolyn, owned a yarn shop in town. It was a haven—it had a little couch where my friend Joan and I would sit early on Saturday mornings before the shop opened. We would bring coffee for three, and we would all sit there among the yarn and needles and the fluffy white dog named Mr. Bennett, and we would yap and sip and giggle. Who wouldn't want to take up knitting under those conditions?

After the shop closed and Carolyn moved to Georgia, I lost my interest in the craft aside from making little baby hats for charity—they suit my short attention span, and once I have memorized the hat pattern, I don't have to think about what I'm doing beyond keeping track of which row I'm on.

Well, during our Christmas visit with my family, one of my sisters showed me a project she was about to launch into. A knitting project. A curly scarf that wraps and wraps around your neck and looks funky and whimsical. I read through the quick four-row set of instructions, figured out the unusual trick that makes the scarf curl (with the help of No. 1), and I memorized it all.

When we got home, I dug out some yarn left over from the old haven shop and got to work. I found that once I got started, I couldn't stop, and with No. 1 egging me on because she wanted the scarf, I kept going and going and going until I was nearly out of yarn. I knitted during the day, even, which is something that usually makes me feel guilty, like when you check your email during church or laugh at a funeral or look at your watch when you're having lunch with a friend. It's just not done.

I knitted and knitted until my wrists hurt, wooden needles dully clicking and yarn flying. I would take a little break to rest my sore tendons and then get back to work. I thought of a horn player I know who recently had carpel tunnel surgery and how I didn't want to go through that, but I couldn't stop myself until the scarf was finished.

I made my deadline, which was to have the project finished before No. 1 flew back to Berkeley. Here it is, stretched out on the floor of the lake house on New Year's day.

And here is No. 1, posing with her sister Eustacia, modeling the scarf.

Now, I can set my needles aside until the next obsession, the next bout with tunnel vision.

Comments

dive said…
Yay for wiggly scarves. That looks so much fun, Robyn.
And the girls look great in those fancy tiaras!
Shan said…
Wowww! Wickedly stylish and difficult looking(it all is to me actually). I like! And what a clean floor, btw. No small effort with two cats surely. ;)
Alice Adair said…
I still have my caches of yarn from the haven shop and I cannot seem to part with them.

I just have to learn that silly balance point of not strangling each stitch with pulling the needles to far or too tight.

Easier said than done. But if it is ever managed, I'll be asking for the pattern for the curly scarf -- it's adorable.
MmeBenaut said…
What a mother! To risk carpel tunnel syndrome and permanent nerve damage to produce a work of high art for a daughter. You are amazing, Robyn and the scarf is gorgeous!
BUT! I had surgery on both hands and unfortunately have some nerve damage in my right hand - can't pinch very well - so DON'T do that again. Two fully functioning hands are so important to such a productive woman as yourself.
Shazza said…
How fun! The first picture made me believe that you knitted a 20 foot scarf and could definitely see why you had carpel tunnel!

Happy New Year!

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...