Skip to main content

Books Stacked to the Ceiling

My to-read stack of books is not literally stacked to the ceiling, but I have added a few new titles.

I'm reading Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein. It's a fun overview of philosophy as demonstrated through jokes. For example, to reveal the fallacy of post hoc ergo propter hoc, the joke goes like this:

A New York boy is being led through the swamps of Louisiana by his cousin. "Is it true that an alligator won't attack you if you carry a flashlight? asks the city boy. His cousin replies, "Depends on how fast you carry the flashlight." Get it?

I had a philosophy class at Purdue years and years ago, but the only thing I remember about it is that the professor had an affinity for the South West, and he wore lots of turquoise and silver jewelry. Also, he was unusual for my little hometown, and I liked him for that. I think approaching philosophy with a light-hearted book like this silly one suits me.


Once I'm finished with that, I'll launch into Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue by John McWhorter. Its subtitle is The Untold History of English. I've only read the introduction, but I'm already excited to get into the book itself. After spending over a year watching Latin immigrants struggling to learn this hodge-podge language, I think this might help me see why they find it so nonsensical with the nouns and verbs and adjectives in the wrong order.

After that, we'll dig into a little work of fiction, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, and then we'll see about giving Anna Karenina another crack, as in cracking the paperback spine because the darn thing is so big. I swear, I don't like to sound like a numbskull, but I just can't work up the attention span to read that book for more than a few minutes at a time. All I can think about is all the pages still left to read. It's shameful, I know, but this is the state of things in my middle age.

Can you think of any other books I should add to my reading list? Short ones?

Comments

savannah said…
currently residing on my bedside table:

my life in france julia child

blackwater, the rise of the world's most powerful mercenary army jeremy scahill

dry storefront no.1, the secret life of the natural history museum richard fortey

finding naouf zoe ferraris

the pyramid,the frist wallander cases henning mankell

and about a dozen others, so i'm not a good one to suggest another title because i can't seem to finish any! xoxoxox

(it's a large round table and far to accommodating when it comes to books, magazines and my laptop!)
Lulubelle B said…
Philosophy through jokes sounds interesting. I'm remined of the Kevin Kline character in A Fish Called Wanda who thinks he's soooo deep, but he's really just wrong.

A short, light book recently enjoyed is "The Uncommon Reader" by Alan Bennett. It's about Elizabeth II and a mobile library. It was a good break between some of the heavier stuff.

There's also "The Dangerous Husband" by Jane Shapiro. Lightly funny and ironic. A tale of a contemporary marriage - not "chick lit".
dive said…
You know better than to ask me to add to your reading list, Robyn. Besides, I won't do that until you've finished Anna Karenina (I'll be asking questions afterwards).
Alifan said…
Ha ha... no good asking me Robyn as Dive says I only read non books...with pretty covers......well apart from a few ...Rebecca..Bleak house ..The Mayor of Casterbridge.. as I have to read a proper book every 4 non books....see he is trying to educate me!!!at my age...
savannah said…
*sigh* i really do need to reread my comments before i hit publish, sugar! *glaring typos*
MmeBenaut said…
Ah, "Blackwater" that Savannah suggests, I read many years ago and still have it on my bookshelves somewhere.

I have so many on my reading stack too and find the same problem with attention span - mostly because I feel guilty reading when I have so much else to do like housework, cooking, gardening, ironing, cat stroking, etc. etc. You know the feeling ...

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...