Skip to main content

Merry Christmas!

We're packing today and getting ready for a quick trip to Atlanta. It's our tradition to spend Christmas with my mother and sisters and their families, and I can't wait to get there. We'll spend most of Thursday catching up with everyone and getting ready for the big meal. Then we'll have dinner—I think we're up to 18 people now, but I lose count when it comes to setting the tables.

We'll pull out the best China from my grandmother's cabinet, and we'll use the silver service from the wooden boxes tucked away in the buffet. There will be crystal glasses that ring when you run your finger around the rim, cloth napkins at each place setting and nostalgic music playing on the record player. Someone will putz around on the piano a little, and someone will remark that my mother really needs to get rid of those nasty felt elves with the plastic heads, the ones she lines up on the mantel every year. I'll probably be that someone.

After dinner and after the kitchen is cleaned up, we'll each find a seat in the living room and pass out the song books. We'll sing through our favorite carols in four-part harmony with one of us at the piano, and then the younger kids will pass out the mountain of presents surrounding the tree. It'll work out to two or three per person, although my mother will end up with a big stack at her feet. We'll open our presents one at a time so everyone can remark at each single gift. Then we'll have coffee and some kind of dessert and call it a day.

Then on Christmas day, we'll dig into the leftover cornbread dressing straight from the fridge, cold. Later, we'll go to my sister's house for brunch and for playing cards and for laying around watching movies. Or maybe we'll wait awhile and go later for a low-country boil dinner. Either way, we'll have two solid days to spend together. Like I said, I can't wait.

In line with my seasonal excitement, here are some Christmasy photos. Eustacia took my camera for a tour around the house, and this is what she saw.

First, the stockings above the fireplace:

Then an angel on the tree:


Bells:


Tiger guarding the tree just before launching into the lower branches and scattering pine needles all over the floor, the little dear:

Merry Christmas!

Comments

kyle@sift said…
It could be a Woody Allen film. Merry, merry!
dive said…
Merry Christmas, Robyn!
Have a wonderful time (I know you will).
Special Christmas wishes to the nasty little felt and plastic elves. They sound cute. I think a photo is called for.
Thank you for inviting us to your lovely Christmas house, Robyn, it looks divine. Do have a wonderful time x

Please keep the nasty elves. We all have something like that in our Christmas decor box. It wouldn't be the same without them :)
MmeBenaut said…
Gorgeous Robyn. Sounds perfect. Best wishes to you and yours for a wonderful & blessed Christmas.
Alifan said…
Late again, but hope you have a great time Robyn.....lovely pics, Oscar liked the one of Tiger....

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...