Skip to main content

The Week After

We're home, back from a few days near Atlanta with my extended family. Christmas was observed almost exactly as I described it last week—the traditional meal (next year, I think I'll suggest adding a green salad to the buffet), carol singing, gift giving, Rook. We played Apples to Apples and watched Up, this year, and we laughed a lot.

My sister has a lovely armoire in her family room with drawers on the bottom and doors on the top. I'm not sure what she keeps behind those doors during the rest of the year, but at Christmas she keeps candy and nuts like you wouldn't believe. It's one of our first stops when we all show up for Christmas brunch—we can't wait to see what treats are in all the tins and boxes.

So we don't spend a fortune buying gifts for everyone, we draw names, and this year I drew the name of one of my sisters. We decided to make our gifts, so I made a scarf out of yarn made from local sheep, and I painted something sort of similar to the pasture where the sheep graze. In actuality, it's not remotely similar, but I did my best. The sister who drew my name gave me a bundle of hand-dyed batting. Apparently I can knit with it, but I'm considering having it spun into yarn so I don't make a mess of the thing. It's beautiful, and I'd hate to ruin it.

My personal family unit often takes a winter vacation between Christmas and New Year's day. We've been to Maui, taken a Caribbean cruise, been to California. This year we talked about going to Florida for a few days, but we decided to just stay put in Small Town. And what do you think we're doing instead of vacationing? We're playing Wii, and we're sitting on the couch and knitting. Yes, knitting. No. 1 is making wrist warmers, and I'm making a very long, curly scarf for her. Don't you wish you were vacationing at Scout's house? Aren't we a lot of fun? Actually, we are, and we're not the least bit disappointed that we chose to stay home.

We're also cooking vegetarian. Yesterday, I baked a loaf of banana bread with hazelnuts and chocolate chips. I made a chilled spinach dip and toasted pita bread, and we made polenta pancakes with avocado and tomato filling (more about that tomorrow).

What do you do between Christmas and New Years when the days aren't technically holidays but they don't feel like regular days, either?

Comments

kyle@sift said…
Unfortunately, we go back to work scrambling to figure out who is going to take care of Francesca while school is still out.
Miz Minka said…
What I would do between Christmas and New Years if I had my druthers: knitting while "watching" movies on DVD, or reading through my stack of Discworld novels. I'm hoping I'll be able to do that next year.

What I am doing: packing boxes and generating a huge mess because we're moving this Saturday. No rest or relaxation for the weary; and I go back to work on Monday. :(

Your in-between-holidays activities sound wonderful, even with all the cooking difficulties! :)

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.