Skip to main content

My Cats Are OK

In fact, they're better than OK. They're just fine, which is a step up.

Over the last few months, we have had issues, and not cheap ones. First, Mike's blood-sugar levels seemed unstable with two units of insulin a day. He was drinking bucket-loads of water and peeing just as much—I was emptying the litter box practically once a day. So, I upped the units to three, and that seemed to do the trick.

Then, I found a lump under Tiger's front leg, and the vet confirmed it was a mass cell tumor. We had it removed and biopsied—it was benign—but within weeks, I found another one in the same general area. So, over Thanksgiving, I boarded the cats with the vet while we were away. They tested Mike's blood and gave him an antibiotic injection for a urinary track infection. And they removed Tiger's second tumor. We're all going to assume it was benign as well because it was just like the first. Total bill for those few days: $1,100.

But let's go back to Mike's infection. On a daily basis at home, he seems fine. He doesn't pee blood, and he doesn't hide under a bed hoping to die. But when I shove the big guy into a cat crate and haul him to the boarders where he is forced to live in a cage until Mommy comes home, he becomes so horrified that his bladder shuts down, and that's when he exhibits signs of an infection. At least this is the explanation the vet gave me yesterday.

I was in the vet's office so he could remove the staples from Tiger's incision. With Tiger finally well, I was free to ask the vet about the possibility of keeping Mike at home while we're away for Christmas. Big Mike is so afraid of non-family people that no one could possibly give him his insulin shot, not that of anyone. So, we've decided he'll be better off at home for a few days without the needed drug but also without the seized bladder.

So, the boys are just fine. At the moment, they are fighting under the dining room table, and earlier they were drinking the water out of the tree stand and chewing on the garland, but they're fine. What a relief.

Comments

dive said…
Hoorah for Tiger and Mike!
They rule.
MmeBenaut said…
OMG Robyn - what a torrid time for you and the little kitties. Poor Mike! You are their angel, for sure.
Shan said…
When I read this yesterday I thought if only I could try my special cat wooing skills on Mike. I have all the patience in the world with cantankerous cats and of course I'm pretty comfortable giving insulin shots as well!

Vet bills are rough! My pom has been sick off and on for a couple of years but they haven't found out what her main problem is yet. Yesterday they tested her for diabetes and I thought about you. Her blood work was fine so we went with antibiotics (again). Her little teeth were chattering and I think her mouth is bothering her this time.

While I was paying she tried to jump down off the seat she was in and she busted her front lip causing it to fill her mouth with blood and fatten her lip. Poor poor baby! I just felt rotten.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...