Skip to main content

It's Pearl Harbor Day

Yep, it's Pearl Harbor Day. I don't know how important this is to most people, but it's an official day in America. As far as I know, no offices will be closed today, but maybe a few people will take a minute to think about what happened today in history.

I'll admit this day isn't very significant to me as far as the details of what my day will look like—I'll probably go to the Y, I have some research to do for a story, and I have to superimpose somebody's logo on a Christmas ornament—but when I think about my parents and their entire generation, Pearl Harbor Day carries a lot of weight.

I called my mother to ask what she remembered about December 7, 1941, and she recalled it very clearly. I must say, though, that she answered my call using a cheap phone, and the beginning of the conversation went like this:

Me: What do you remember about Pearl Harbor?
Mother: I liked him a lot.
Me: What?
Mother: I really liked him.
Me: No, Mama. Listen. I said, "What do you remember about PEARL HARBOR?"
Mother: Oh, I thought you said what do I remember about Paul Harvey. Let me switch to a better phone.

Anyway, my mother is full of stories with fascinating detail about life in the 30s and 40s. I wish she would write them down, but she needs prompts.

With her help, here is today's column in Small Town Newspaper. Pay no mind to the online comments that might follow.

Comments

dive said…
Hee hee hee hee hee!
Hoorah for cheap phone lines, Robyn.
Grandma Scott said…
Wow...I forgot and I'm an army brat, it was a bad day for america we found out we can and could be hurt, like 9/11. Your writing is good do you have a website? check mine out http://www.giftsofdawn.com I write childrens books and short stories... hugs
Scout said…
Welcome to blogville, Grandma Scott. I don't have a website apart from my blog here, but I write a weekly column in my local newspaper.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...