Skip to main content

Hazelnut Shortbread

I feel like I've been baking for days. Wait, I have been. The English class for immigrants is having its Christmas party today, and the teachers and aides bring home-made gifts for all the students. I went empty-handed last year because no one told me about that little thing, so this year, I'm prepared. I have been baking hazelnut shortbread cookies.

The students tell me they don't care for sweets the way Americans do. I'm not sure if that's true, or if it's like pretending you can't eat another thing and then finishing off the M&Ms while no one is looking, or maybe they mean it. I have witnessed them scraping off the icing when the teacher gives them cupcakes.

So, I decided to give shortbread cookies, which are sweet but not sickeningly so. Since the recipe makes only 4 dozen, and I wanted to give at least 8 cookies to each of the 15 student, I have had to make three batches. Fortunately, I now have more than I need for gift giving. It's a shame I couldn't possibly eat another thing. wink wink

Here's the recipe:

3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons hazelnut liqueur
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups unbleached flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350˚. Spread hazelnuts onto cookie sheet and roast for four to five minutes. Allow to cool and process in food processor until finely chopped but not ground.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy. Beat in sugar. Scrape down sides and beat in liqueur and vanilla.

Sift the flour and salt onto a piece of waxed paper. Add to the butter mixture one cup at a time until incorporated. Stir in nuts.

Shape dough into a round and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 325˚. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Roll out dough onto lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Using a fluted 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out rounds and transfer to prepared pans. Prick each cookie twice with the tines of a fork.

Bake cookies for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully transfer to a cooling rack. Cookies will keep for 3 to 4 weeks in a tightly closed container.

Comments

dive said…
You have more than you need for gift giving, Robyn?
Doh! I wish I could get across the pond to help you with that problem, they look delicious!
Madame DeFarge said…
Shortbread is such a breeze to make that it even makes my baking look impressive. I might have to try this recipe to add to my repertoire.
Shan said…
I love the shape you used for these. I'll bet they are super tasty. In my pile of sugars and butter I have the fixin's for the brown sugar shortbread I like to make. It always looks cute(like your babysitter's recipe) and tastes great (slightly undercooked) and to make them more festive I make them domino shaped and dip one end in chocolate.
I made my two batches of fudge and peanut butter bon bons for gifts but tried twice to make my grandmas buttermilk candy and came out with ice cream topping each time. Yes, I'm toying with gifting it as such a product. :D
Happy Friday before Christmas!!! EEK! I've got to get my shop on!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.