Skip to main content

Goat Cheese in America

Call me a food snob (I'll take it as a compliment), but I am appalled at the new Kraft American cheese commercial—America's cheese. Bah! We can do better, which leads me to this recipe I found the other day. I'm working through the CIA's Gourmet Meals in Minutes cookbook this week, and goat cheese and red onion quesadillas from pages 242 are on the menu.

I forgot to take a photo of the finished dish, but quesadillas all look the same on the outside, I think. Here's how it goes:

(serves 8)

2 red onions, thinly sliced
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups Jack cheese, grated
16 flour tortillas, 6-inch
1/2 cup goat cheese
1 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 cup sour cream

Sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until soft and translucent, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. For each quesadilla, sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the Jack cheese on a flour tortilla. Crumble 1 tablespoon of the goat cheese over the jack cheese. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the sautéed onions on top and lay 7 sprigs of cilantro over the onion. Cover with a second flour torilla.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat (I think it works better if you lightly brush the tortillas with oil so you don't have too much, and it's evenly distributed). Cook each quesadilla for about 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and the cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream.

•••

This is so easy and yummy and beats American cheese hands down. The owner of a Mexican store in Small Town once told me that burritos weren't really Mexican but that Mexicans on this side of the border made them up to appease Americans. I wonder if quesadillas have the same history—I'll have to ask the women in class this morning. And I'll have to ask them if they like American cheese or if they think it looks and feels and taste like the plastic wrap it comes in.

Comments

dive said…
Ah, the oxymoron that is American 'cheese'!
For us in England (and France) it used to be (and still is outside of specialist cheese shops in London) that American cheese came in three varieties:
(1)Orange plastic sweaty stuff, (2)the stuff in spray cans, or (3)the entire culture between the Canandian and Mexican borders.

Now at least we are getting the first dribbles of produce from tiny artisan creameries in places like Oregon and I must say that some of the stuff I've tried is actually quite good.

They've a long way to go before the US produces a Stilton or a Vieux Comté but with the growth of farmers' markets and small, high quality independents the future looks rosy.

We'll still keep laughing at you, though, until you stop making Cheez Wiz and Kraft plastic salty squares or pretending that you can make an edible Cheddar.
Eww!
kyle@sift said…
American cheese? That's not cheese. That's cheese food. There is a differnce.
Check out http://www.lakeeriecreamery.com/
dive said…
Mmmm … That looks good, Kyle!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.