Skip to main content

An Evening Out with a Surprise

I just told Lynn I would not be posting today, but then I remembered I haven't told you about the concert we attended Sunday evening. I was hibernating on Sunday with Christmas cookies and Christmas movies and laundry and vacuuming—an inside kind of day, as if any of my days are outside days. Anyway, my good friend and neighbor Jane called to invite Husband and I to attend a Canton Symphony Orchestra concert.

So, we went. We live approximately 25 minutes from where this orchestra performs, yet we have never been. It's a shame. The orchestra is very good, staffed mostly with graduate students from the Cleveland Institute of Music, from what I understand, and conducted by a bull.

Conductor Gerhardt Zimmermann is as broad as a Peterbilt, and despite his lack of height, he appears an imposing figure on the conductor's platform. We were waiting for the concert to begin and watching the acting concertmaster lead the group in tuning when whispers came over the PA system. We heard a man say, "Good God, what's going on here?" followed by sighs and laughter. The orchestra members giggled, and we all realized the conductor, still off stage, had turned on his lapel mic.

After a few minutes of awkward silence, he appeared on stage and took the podium. He then presented a very personal and moving eulogy in honor of a friend of his and the orchestras, and then he conducted Elgar's "Nimrod."

The piece was not on the program—I was waiting to hear Appalachian Spring, which was the soundtrack to my teenage years, so I was surprised but thrilled. There is something about "Nimrod," the way it begins so sorrowfully but then builds with hope and success, that makes me weep every time I hear it. I say success because I've read Elgar wrote it to tell the story of a particular event. He was depressed and ready to give up composing, feeling like a failure, when his friend and adviser, Augustus Jaeger, convinced him to keep going. Jaeger pushed him and saved him from giving up what was his passion and presumably his purpose.

The short piece ends softly the way it begins, but instead of feeling like sorrow, it feels like a sigh of relief. An all-is-well sigh. Everyone needs a friend to keep them from giving up, to keep pushing forward even when you feel as though you are failing. And at some point, everyone needs to be that friend.

And so, the rest of the concert program was a delight, but it was the surprise piece that made it memorable.

Comments

Here's a tissue for your tears, Robyn. Wah!!!
Scout said…
Hey, it's Rich! Hi.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.