Skip to main content

Darn—Sometimes Nicer

At yesterday's English class for Latin immigrants, I was listening to a Guatemalan woman reading from her study book. That's how it works—they read aloud, and you correct them when they make a mistake and explain words and phrases that are unfamiliar or confusing. For example, in one exercise, the word "figure" was used twice, once to mean numbers and once to mean working out a problem. "The figures don't add up" and "I figured out the solution," or something along those lines.

So, in the story we were reading, a man had lost his car keys and was tearing up his house looking for them. While he was searching, a census worker was sitting in his living room and asking him the questions a census worker might ask.

The frustrated man with the lost keys became so "disgusted" and "anxious" that his visitor became "nervous" and "squirmed in his seat," all words and phrases we discussed. Then the frustrated man yelled out, "Darn!"

People just learning English don't know the word darn or any of the other so-called soft swear words like dern or shoot or jeez or friggin. You know what I mean. I tried to define darn for my student but wasn't getting anywhere. It wasn't a word she had ever heard. Finally, I said, "OK, have you heard the word damn? Now, that one she knew. She had heard it quite a bit, sometimes in the form of dammit. So, I explained that darn is simply a nicer form of the word, a more socially acceptable word.

She got it but didn't know that damn wasn't nice in some circles. Now, she knows.

I find soft swear words pretty silly, although I use them, which is not to say I don't use the original forms now and then. My father had quite a sailor's vocabulary. In his case, it would probably be more appropriate to call it a carpenter's vocabulary. He held his tongue around my mother, usually, but he didn't mind cutting loose around me when the moment was ripe for an exclamation. Besides the usual cussing, he would use other words, like dadgummit. If you bite on the T at the end, it can be as satisfying as any word out there.

One evening when I was little, my mother and sisters were out (at church, I think), and my father and I stayed home. We were sitting on the couch watching TV, and something irritated me so that I said, "Dern!" You'd think I had cussed a blue streak or used the Lord's name in vain, the way my father reacted. He chewed me out for using such foul language, and he better not ever hear me talk like that again.

I was so confused because I learned that soft word from him. If he could stomp around the house saying that and worse, why couldn't I? He had no response for my question, but I knew better than to push it. Dadgummit. As I recall, he told my mother when she got home, but I don't remember being punished. She must have realized why I might have thought that was an acceptable term.

Comments

dive said…
We do indeed learn some of those words from our parents, Robyn (something I delight in reminding mum who had a particular favourite).
I wonder which words Daughters 1 and 2 picked up off you?
Hee hee. Please don't hit me!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.