Skip to main content

Cities for Life Day

Cities for Life Day was actually yesterday, but yesterday I was thinking about Thanksgiving more than I was thinking about the death penalty. So, a day late, here is Monday's opinion piece in Small Town Newspaper.

Even to those who stop by regularly but don't normally comment, please answer the poll question in the side bar.

•••

Today, more than 1,000 cities around the world will be lighting monuments and holding ceremonies as a way to participate in Cities for Life Day. It’s a day set aside to commemorate November 30, 1786 when Grand Duke Leopold II banned the use of capital punishment in Tuscany. His was the first region in Europe to adopt the policy, and since then, most developed nations have followed suit with the United States standing as a glaring exception.

Ironically, of the cities participating in the commemoration, 25 of them are in the U.S., including a dozen in Texas, which leads the nation in executions. We have executed 48 prisoners in 2009 so far with over 3,000 inmates waiting their turn on death row. Texas accounts for 23 of those executions, and another is scheduled for early December.

The United States ranks fifth in executions behind China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and North Korea. The vast majority of other democratic and civilized nations have denounced the death penalty, so why do we continue to practice what so many consider a barbaric and ineffective form of punishment?

One of the common arguments for retaining capital punishment is that it is an effective crime deterrent. But in many cases, states without capital punishment have a lower murder rate than states maintaining a death row. Some recent studies claim capital punishment is a deterrent by speculating on the number of lives saved if a murderer is, well, murdered. But social scientists and criminologists alike are disputing those findings as purposefully skewed and based on faulty theories.

Death penalty proponents also suggest cost should be a factor when sentencing a convicted criminal, as if executing someone is a cheap way to remove them from society. But states spend more than twice the cost of incarcerating someone for life without parole by sentencing the criminal to death. Because of the appeals process, states can spend $2.5 to $5 million per person from conviction to execution, while a life sentence typically costs $1 million.

This lengthy appeals process is necessary to assure the convicted person is actually guilty, and even then, we sometimes sentence and even execute the innocent. Since 1977, 133 convicted felons on death row have been exonerated based on new evidence; and Ohio, which has executed 32 death-row inmates since 1977, has released five innocent prisoners. Without the appeals process, even more innocent people would be executed.

I believe those who call for vengeance and suggest the families of murdered victims are due an element of justice are wrong to equate the two terms. Vengeance does not equal justice, and capital punishment, in fact, only leads to further loss. Martin Luther King said, “That old law, an eye for an eye, leaves everybody blind.” After he was assassinated, his widow, Coretta Scott King, said, “As one whose husband and mother-in-law have died the victims of murder assassination, I stand firmly and unequivocally opposed to the death penalty for those convicted of capital offenses. An evil deed is not redeemed by an evil deed of retaliation. Justice is never advanced in the taking of a human life. Morality is never upheld by a legalized murder.”

And what is capital punishment but legalized murder? By taking the life of a human being, even one we have deemed less than human, I believe we become as guilty as the criminal. We have taken the liberty of declaring the criminal to be unredeemable, and we have exchanged one evil deed for another.

A Gallop poll conducted in October of this year revealed that 65 percent of Americans continue to support the use of capital punishment. The statistic alarms me, but what I find even more disturbing is that 49 percent of those polled think we don’t use the death penalty enough.

We as a nation pride ourselves on being a beacon of liberty and hope; and no matter the debate, someone can be counted on to stand up and shout, “We are the greatest nation in the world.” The United States has several unique characteristics for which we can be proud, but on this issue where we stand alone among other civilized and democratic nations, I believe we ought to be ashamed.

UPDATE: The debate is on today (Wednesday) at Small Town Newspaper. I won't bother to link to the comments page because I can't imagine anyone would want to read this stuff

Comments

E said…
I am currently doing a project on this very subject.
Scout said…
Really, E? Did I get my facts right?

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.