Skip to main content

Christmas Gifts and Flautas

Yesterday, the English class had a little party. It seems we are always having a little party for one occasion or another, but yesterday was specifically about Christmas.

We played a party game, the kind you play at miserable baby showers, that left everyone with a small gift of homemade bread, and we played Uno. One of the women at my table wasn't sure of the colors in English, so we went back and forth in English and Spanish to help keep her straight.

Just as a fresher: yellow=amarillo; red=rojo; blue=azul; green=verde. I didn't win, but then I never win, so I wasn't disappointed. I gave each student a bag of cookies, and they gave me a pretty Christmas mug filled with chocolate and a card they had each signed. Then we ate, which is always the highlight because the students bring in the food.

We had chicken and rice, flautas filled with potatoes, and tostadas, which are called enchiladas in Guatemala. You can make them with almost anything apparently, because at each meal I have had with these people, the elements are always different. You start with a crisp, flat corn tortilla and then layer it with tons of stuff—seasoned meat, shredded lettuce, cheese, salsa... Yesterday, the tostadas were layered with shredded and pickled carrots, pickled beats, chicken, cheese and salsa. Always wonderful if a little messy.

It was a lovely party, and in honor of the season, I give you one last Christmas song at the piano (from last year because I don't think I could play this thing any better).

Comments

dive said…
Thank you, Robyn.
A mouthwateringly delicious post and my favourite Christmas song, too.
Scout said…
You're welcome, Dive. Merry Christmas to the biggest Scrooge your side of the Atlantic. (and you aren't really fooling anyone, hee hee)
Gorgeous. What a fun party you had. :)
Madame DeFarge said…
Sounds like a fun time was had by all, especially on the food front. Great song too.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.