Skip to main content

Too Old to Look at the Stars

I'm old, or at least I feel old. Because I lost a lot of sleep in trying to see some falling meteors the night before last, I spent yesterday in a fog.

I had previously scheduled a Swedish massage for 2:30. I don't normally order up a massage just for the heck of it, but the day spa where I have my hair cut was offering a deal, and I bought it on impulse one day. I had to use the purchase in November, and so yesterday was pretty much the only day I could do that.

Between lunchtime and the massage, I decided to take a quick nap. I like power naps now and then—twenty minutes just to close my eyes and postpone functioning. I lay down on the couch and let myself slip into power-nap mode, and it was such wonderful relief from exhaustion.

I had a weird dream—Husband and I were living in a big, sprawling house with huge hallways and a giant kitchen. We decided to take in a boarder, a man who paid rent and had free reign in the kitchen. One day the man started rummaging through the pantry and complaining about the snack food I kept in stock. I asked what he would like, and he said he wanted "normal food," specifically rice crispy treats, and I was expected to make them. Then he took a shower and managed to flood the whole house, leaving big puddles of water every where. It was such a mess, and I wished he would move.

I woke up from my nap and said out loud to myself, "I'm so glad I don't have to make rice crispy treats." That's when I discovered I hadn't slept for twenty minutes—I had actually slept for two solid hours. TWO HOURS. That's not a power nap. That's a mini-nighttime sleep.

I did what I could to fix my hair, brushed my teeth, threw on some shoes, and rushed to the day spa for the stupid massage, which was the last thing I needed—what I really needed was to be dowsed with ice water or injected with strong coffee. I managed to stay awake through the massage, one that was unfortunately designed to be relaxing. I thought about asking the masseuse to be mean, but I didn't have the energy to speak the words.

I am apparently too old to be sitting out in the cold in the middle of the night looking at the stars without expecting to pay for it the next day.

Comments

dive said…
Robyn, you DO live in a big sprawling house with huge hallways and a giant kitchen!
At least you do compared to some of us over here on this tiny island. Sheesh, your CAR is bigger than my house. Hee hee.

I've not had rice krispie treats since I was a kid. I really think you should make some.
Funny story! I just can't do those naps either. I don't really sleep during the day, it doesn't seem to work for me. I know if I managed to fall asleep, it'd be like you, for several hours.

Did you enjoy the massage though really? I'm quite envious, it's been a while since I had one.
savannah said…
i've been awake on and off since 2am! i hate the time difference between here and deepsestdarkestafrica, but anyway, it's 8pm and i want to go to bed, but i know if i do, i'll be awake way too early OR even worse, have nightmares about rice krispie treats! ;~D xoxoxoxo

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.