Skip to main content

Talking Chicken

"I grew up in Canton, Ohio." That's what the sticker says on this package of chicken thighs I bought at the local grocery store. The point is that the chicken is sort of local, and the company wants to market to people for whom buying local is an issue, but I prefer my food not talk to me in the first person no matter where it grew up. I wouldn't want a sticker on the package to say "I lived in a coop for nine months" or "I never knew my parents" or even "I had the brain the size of a pea, and my name was Rita." Simply, I do not want to hear from the actual chicken I am about to eat.

But, after I got over my distaste for the label, I cooked these thighs anyway. I followed a recipe from a Food Network cookbook for North African Chicken Stew.

It goes like this: (serves 4)

1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup uncooked couscous
4 teaspoons kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, quartered
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
2 carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 small red onion, halved and sliced
1 2/3 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
juice of half a lemon
1/3 cup Tunisian Pesto (recipe to follow)

Bring the 1 1/2 cups broth to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Stir in couscous and 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside while you make the stew.

Heat the oil and butter in a large pot. Season the chicken with a mixture of the cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Add to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, onions, broth, vinegar, and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through and carrots are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.

Stir in the pesto. Fluff the pesto and divide among four bowls. Ladle in stew and serve.


Tunisian Pesto
makes 1 cup

2 cups packed fresh cilantro, leaves and some stems
1 cup packed fresh parsley (leaves and some stems)
1/4 cup almonds
1 or 2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

In the bowl of a food processor, pulse cilantro, parsley, almonds and garlic until coarsely chopped. With processor running, slowly pour in olive oil and process until fully incorporated. Add salt and serve immediately.

Comments

kyle@sift said…
Nine months? That talking chicken only lived six weeks before you turned her into dinner.
Scout said…
See, Kyle? What do I know? And I assume this was several chickens unless we've figured out how to raise a chicken with eight legs.
savannah said…
sounds delish! might try some of those spices on my roasting chicken tonight! xoxo
Shan said…
Once again I want to eat YOUR food instead of mine! :)

Jamey and I have always detested talking food commercials. We don't want to see the animal with a great personality bouncing around on the screen beckoning us to come and eat him. NO.

There's a funny Saturday Night Live commercial where a cartoon chicken is talking and telling us what happens to him in the process of being prepared for the audience to eat him. At the end he is a bloody dripping talking head that's tasting himself prepared and saying in a Goofy voice "HEY, I'm goood!"
It's hilarious because it is so true.
dive said…
Wowee! That sounds yummy, Robyn.
Local food is really good, but I always try to eat organic, too (not a problem here).
You REALLY don't want me to start on intensive chicken rearing; you'd never eat again.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.