Skip to main content

Star Poop and Wasted Minds

English class was full of surprises yesterday. I sat at a table with four women—two Mexicans and two Guatemalans—and we read a newspaper written for an early reading level. When we read together, each student takes a turn reading a few paragraphs, and I help with pronunciation and explanations of new words or unusual phrases. For example, in a story about the Berlin wall and how Germans are debating how to memorialize it, the phrase "brushed off" was used to describe opinions that were being dismissed. We had to talk about the meaning of that phrase for a minute.

Then we read about how NASA has sent a probe to the moon to take photographs and to measure the temperature, and the probe has revealed that the south pole of the moon is the coldest spot in our solar system. Because there is a large crater there, and possibly a crater within a crater, the area never sees the sun.

The article led to a discussion about the nature of the moon, and suddenly the disparity between the education level of Mexicans and Guatemalans was clear. The Mexican women had been to school in their home towns are now just trying to learn English. The Guatemalan women have had so little education that now they are trying to learn everything. They didn't realize the moon was only rock and had no light source of its own. They wondered if it was the same as the sun. They were surprised when I told them the sun was a star and the moon only reflected the light the sun sends its way—no one had ever told them that before. "Oh, like a mirror," one of them said.

These women are all very bright and are capable of learning. Some of them just haven't had the opportunity. And now that they are adults with children who learn something new every day, they see what they have missed. One of my favorite students, Juana, said her mother never went to school and can't read or write, but she can add and subtract and owns her own business in Guatemala selling used clothing door to door. Juana had four years of school as a child where she learned Spanish. Now that she is relatively proficient in English, she speaks three languages—English, Spanish and her native Guatemalan dialect. Yet, she knows nothing about the moon or the planets or the sun or even the equator.

It was in English that she told me about star poop. When she was a girl, she remembered seeing weird stuff fall down from the sky, and later they would find this jelly stuff in the lakes and ponds. It was like big worms all stuck together, she said, and they weren't allowed to touch it. She used to poke it with a stick, and her parents told her it was star poop. The other Guatemalan woman had a similar story even though she lived in another village. The Mexicans and I sat there in complete dismay, and we had no idea what they were talking about. Star poop, for Pete's sake.

Juana said that people in her village never thought about things like that, never thought to investigate to see what the stuff really was or where it came from. They didn't think beyond what they could see and were not curious. Guatemala has no NASA to send probes anywhere to find out anything, she said.

I promised I would investigate the star poop, and here's what I found: its more common name is star jelly. Scientists don't have a complete explanation for it yet, but they think it is related to meteor showers because it's often found in areas after a meteor has been sighted. It usually disintegrates when it hits ground, but sometimes it can linger in water, which would explain why Juana said they only ever found it in ponds. I can't wait to tell her what star poop is. She'll be glad to know.

Star jelly, or star poop if you prefer, which I don't.

Comments

savannah said…
incredible story, but beyond the women, how the hell did you find out about star poop? i googled the phrase and got YOUR post! ;~D xoxox
Shan said…
Wow! I thought "star poo/jelly" originated in hollywood! Fascinating.
Scout said…
Isn't it weird? I found it by googling something like "globulous stuff from the sky."
dive said…
I have no idea what that stuff is, Robyn, but it looks like something from a Japanese restaurant.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.