Skip to main content

Orchestras are Cool Part 2

Now that I'm not kicking myself for my errors in Saturday's orchestra concert, let me try this again. Our concert really was a success, I think. We did not attract a sell-out crowd, but we did fill many more seats than we seem to have been filling for the first concert of each season in the past. And the audience offered their enthusiastic applause for everything we presented to them.

Maybe it was because we were a smaller group than the full orchestra, but when the winds played the band piece at the beginning, I felt as though we were each super conscious of what the others were playing around us and made great efforts to blend and make something together, not just side by side. I am always amused at our behavior during rehearsals in contrast to our behavior in concerts. We rehearse Saturday afternoons, and people are tapping their feet noticeably and counting rests out loud and swearing when they come in early or miss a note. But a few hours later during the performance, the tapping is much less noticeable, and the counting is not nearly as audible. There is still the occasional cuss, but I don't think anyone in the audience can hear that. I certainly hope they can't.

About the foot tapping—I learned something interesting when I first joined the orchestra. When you have an instrument in your lap or in your hands, it's difficult to applaud, say when the president of the board gives a speech or you want to thank the concert sponsor or when the conductor comes on stage. So, the thing to do is to tap your foot or both feet on the floor as a form of applause. And after someone in the group has finished a solo, it isn't appropriate to applaud in the middle of the piece as you would during a jazz number, so you quietly shuffle your feet without interrupting the music.

Back to the concert, I suspect we parted the hair of some in the audience with the force of The Planets, and the violin concerto was absolutely dreamy.

I have been thinking about how these concerts are social events along with musical events. During the intermission, I walked what feels like a gauntlet through the lobby to put my horn away, and I was stopped all along the way by people milling around and saying "hey." I talked to Small Town Newspaper's photographer who was so impressed while shooting at our rehearsal, that he felt compelled to attend the concert, his first ever. I talked to No. 1's high school chemistry teacher who hugged me and talked about No. 1 and my newspaper columns and her ideas for future news stories. Then I talked to some neighbors who are delightful people I never see outside of these concerts. Then this woman from the board nearly knocked me down to tell me how much she appreciated an article I had written about the details of the orchestra, and she felt it did something positive to boost community awareness. Then I ran into an old friend who was stretching his legs while his wife saved their seats. We talked and talked, and then he invited me to join them in the auditorium—there was an empty prime seat directly in front of them because the previous ticket holder died over the summer.

So, it was all swell, just swell. And even though I was disappointed in some elements of my own playing, it was a fantastic evening.

Comments

dive said…
You do yourself such a disservice, Robyn. Surely the applause and the attention you got from all and sundry in the interval should tell you that you are someone special.
I think it's about time you took notice. Hee hee.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.