Skip to main content

A Month for Role Models

It doesn't take much to declare a month the National Month of Whatever. All you have to do is make it so and put it on the Internet, and unless it's something completely ridiculous, it will take off and actually become recognized by people other than yourself. Well, November is the National Month of Inspirational Role Models, so called by a woman in Detroit who is part of some sort of community organization. The designation has since spread, and now people outside of Detroit recognize it.

In preparation for an editorial about role models, I spent some time thinking about my role models, and I couldn't come up with any. I guess I don't have one. Is that wrong?

When I was a kid, I'm pretty sure my sisters were my role models. They are older than I am, and they seemed so grown up to me. They were (and are) smart and funny and talented and independent. I wanted their clothes and their friends and the little bit of freedom they were granted more so than I was—heck, I wasn't even allowed to shave my legs until I was 14. I sneaked into the bathroom one day and shaved with one of my sister's razors, and when my mother found out, you'd think I'd put on lipstick or something. Or worn eyeshadow. Or danced.

Well, about this role model business—now as an adult, I apparently have no role models. And to my knowledge, I am no model for another person except maybe my children. I asked 60 people if they have role models, and 33 responded with an enthusiastic affirmative, two said they did not, and the rest didn't answer. Based on the answers I received in my poll, here is today's editorial.

Oh, and November is also National Diabetes Month, National Alzheimer's Disease Month, National Impotency Month, National Peanut Butter Lovers Month and Sweet Potato Awareness Month.

Comments

kyle@sift said…
I for one, have been a long time lover of Sweet Potato awareness month. In honor of this I am going to decorate the sweet potato I bought at least week's farmers market to serve as my role model. Nice editorial, Robyn.
Susan Martins Miller said…
Also National Write a Novel Month.
I think you're a good role model, robyn.
MmeBenaut said…
Sweet potato awareness? Now I've heard everything but then again, from a grower's perspective, why not!

It was an excellent article Robyn and I must say that I enjoyed being part of your "poll".
Shan said…
I agree with Rich and I'm sure your daughters think of you as a role model for sure. In fact you are a role model for me as to how I want to act when my kids are off off and away. :)

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.