Skip to main content

I Found A Flute Player

Yesterday, I was sitting here listening to my cat lick himself—it's an unpleasant sound like a heap of wet noodles being squished around a big pot—when the phone rang. Small Town Newspaper wanted me to cover a story at the high school, if you could call it a story. I suppose it is.

The football team is in the playoffs, and some students have an extraordinary way of showing team spirit. They call themselves the Shirtless Men. They go to all the games regardless of weather with no shirts but with letters painted on their chests that spell out the name of the school. If they have enough boys lined up, they spell out something inspirational, like "Let's Go Small Town." The Shirtless Men are a tradition that has passed on from class to class so that there are now alumni.

These boys are excited for Friday night's playoff game and wanted to tell their story, so two of us were sent to talk to them—one full-time reporter was there to talk to the main group, and I was there to talk to the guy who carries the flag. We interviewed them and took pictures and walked away.

It was while we were walking away that I learned this other reporter plays the flute. I never knew. She's good, too, I assume, because she plays in an orchestra south of here that is associated with a college, and she's friends with a horn player I know. We had the nicest chat there in front of the high school, and I drove home thinking how there must be hundreds of people around here in a variety of vocations but who make music their avocation.

Like with most creative endeavors, music is a difficult field for people to earn a living in outside of teaching, and even then it's tough. So, it's no wonder people take other jobs and let music be the thing they do after 5:00. I've heard musicians say that turning music into a job can suck the joy out of it, like making it an obligation that wears on you over time.

I once met a woman who managed her husband's business—he made and sold fonts for designers—but she was a horn player in an orchestra. I told her I was a volunteer in an orchestra and a summer band, and when she heard how enthusiastic I was about the whole thing, she said she misses that exuberance. She blamed the profession of horn playing for making it feel more like a job than a joy.

I wonder if the newspaper would be interested in a column that unearths all the local off-the-job musicians out there. Hmmm.

Comments

kyle@sift said…
R.
We're talking about a newspaper that thinks shirtless men at sporting events is "a story". AND a community that acrually wants to read about said men...rather...boys.
But I would love to hear a story about local, off-the-job musicians. One of them lives with me and practices his bloody drums incessantly.
Scout said…
Kyle, I actually thought of your resident musician as I was writing this post. Should I pitch the idea?

As much as I hate the emphasis this town puts on football, I think the Shirtless Men tradition is a good one, something that carries on year after year.
PF said…
Yes! Do a story on said musicians, Robyn :)
Kyle, you don't know me, but I have heard your resident musician play in the past with Jeff and the boys prior to many Nutcracker performances. Nice!
kyle@sift said…
Strains of flu carry on year after year, too. I'm sorry. I just think shirtless men should stay indoors during football season. Or perhaps you and I could get on each side of their profound statement. Our bosom could be the quotation marks.
dive said…
I think your story on musicians is an excellent idea, Robyn.
As is Kyle's idea for punctuation. Hee hee.
Kyle: It's about time you persuaded him to invest in an electronic kit for home practice. They're still annoying with the tap-tap-tapping but only if you're in the same room. A great sanity-saver.
Madame DeFarge said…
I'll force myself to skip past the shirtless men. Because I should.

Maybe all those musicians should get together and do charity concerts or play for children, the elderly or the housebound. I'd hate to see all that talent go to waste.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.