Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, Mr. Landis

Today is the birthday of Kenesaw Mountain Landis, born in Indiana in 1866. Why is that significant? It isn't, really. He was a judge and the first commissioner of organized baseball, but beyond that, his name is what caught my attention.

Landis was named after the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain in Georgia where his father fought as a Union soldier during the Civil War. His father lost a leg in the battle and so named his son after the place. Seems an odd tribute, I think. Imagine if all the soldiers wounded in our current wars were to name their children after the places where they were wounded—we'd have an awful lot of Fallujah Smiths and Baghdad Joneses running loose in a few years.

I have flown a kite on the battleground of Kennesaw Mountain. It was my niece's kite, and the poor kid had to watch while I accidentally let go of the string and let the thing take off above the trees. I like that a piece of ground that saw so much horror would become a place where people would gather for picnics or to fly kites—it helps to redeem it.

But back to this business of naming children something like Kenesaw Mountain. Never mind the misspelling—I just wonder if the man felt marked or if he ever visited the battleground to see where his father lost a leg. I wonder if his name made him serious or gave him a sense of humor. He was known as "the baseball tyrant" and went to his grave with the unfortunate legacy of preventing the integration of baseball, but would he have been more even handed had he been named Bob?

I wonder how the life of Remember Allerton, a little girl on the Mayflower, was affected by her name, having to spend her entire life being referred to by a word with heavy connotations given the context. Her shipmates, Resolved White and Wrestling Brewster, were in the same boat. And here, I have just typed an unintended pun which I will not remove because I like puns.

Last Thanksgiving, one of my brothers-in-law put a great deal of energy into railing against people who make up names for their children and how that practice diminishes society as a whole. I didn't agree with him then, and I don't agree with him now, but I do wonder how the distinctively named people grow into their names—if they wear them like badges or more like yokes.

Comments

dive said…
Oh, I do love those bizarre Puritan names, Robyn.

And puns are good. Revel in them.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.