Skip to main content

Guatemalans Know How to Cook!

I just returned from another annual Thanksgiving feast with the immigrant class (here is the post from last year with photos). The Mexican and Guatemalan women gather in the big kitchen and whip up a feast—tamales, tostadas, fried steak (milanessa), homemade tortillas and enchiladas, which is actually a salad made with lettuce and ham and tomatoes.

Juana made 60 tamales—she mixes maseca flour with water to make the filling, stuffs the flour mixtures with seasoned chicken, and wraps the whole thing with a banana leaf that has been soaking in water. She wraps each tamale in foil, and then she steams them all in a big pot. It's a staple on a Latin plate and understandably so.

There was no room in the kitchen for me to even watch, so I sat out in the big room with the American students in the GED program, the ones who don't eat no Mexican food. They contributed the traditional American Thanksgiving dishes and the desserts because the Latin students aren't fond of desserts, at least not the ultra-sugary ones Americans seem to crave.

I shared a table with some educators and a county commissioner, and I think I've got the commissioner talked into spending a morning observing one of the classes. He seemed like a good guy who really wanted to know more about the program.

So, now that I've had my Latin Thanksgiving, we're off to Illinois to have an American one. Happy Thanksgiving to all of blogville.

Comments

dive said…
Happy Thanksgiving, Robyn!
Oooooh … I'd love to try those dishes. Any chance of a recipe post?
Madame DeFarge said…
Sounds a great meal. I suspect I'd prefer the tamales to anything else on offer. Delicious.
Glad you're having a great Thanksgiving, Robyn!

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.