Skip to main content

Estoy Aprendiendo Español

To translate: I am learning Spanish. I'm not sure that's true, but I'm certainly trying.

For Christmas last year, Eustacia gave me a language kit that suggests you can learn Spanish in 3 months, and I have finally started using it. The kit's CD is for hearing the proper pronunciation as you work your way through the book, but this CD doesn't include explanations. And it doesn't tell you to slow down, that the chapters designed to be completed in one week are not meant to be completed in one evening.

I can't help myself, though. As I worked on the first chapter, Week 1, it seemed so simple that I whizzed right through it, and I was reminded of the Spanish I learned in high school. But I didn't stop to actually memorize the vocabulary or the sentence structure that would come in handy later. Week 2 brought even more words and grammar rules, and by Week 5—or Day 5, in my case—I am in over my head. I now have to start over and quiz myself and actually work at it. Lo tengo que estudiar.

The teacher of the English class where I volunteer says a student needs to write something five times in order for the thing to sink in. When she introduces new words, she makes the students write them down five times no matter their level. Whether they are learning names for colors or more complicated, multi-syllable concept words, the Five Rule applies. So, I am now trying to apply that rule to my Spanish learning.

Even if this program isn't effective, and I don't learn to speak or read Spanish, I am at least reminded of how difficult it is for an adult to learn another language. I don't think I have been impatient with the Latin students in class, but this week I have been much more sympathetic to their struggles. Yesterday, I worked with a woman in an early reading level, and she was learning when to use words like in, on, up and at. We worked on how a person is in a river but on a street. You pick up an apple, but you don't pick at an apple unless it has worms. It all seems so obvious to someone who knows the language, but it really isn't obvious at all when it's all new.

I recognize my situation hardly compares to those of the immigrants in this class—I'm trying to learn for fun, and I have had many years of official schooling. These people are learning out of dire necessity, and many of them have only had four or five years of school. And now they are parents of children who are already surpassing them.

Well, I'll start over with Week 1 and write everything five times. We'll see.

Es difficil.

Comments

dive said…
Learning languages is fun!
When you've done with Spanish, come join me in my Japanese class, Robyn.
Si es difficil, desafordunatemente, pero es muy bien! Felicitations, Robyn.

I studied it at university but never get to use it, so let's use each other to practise. How about emails in Spanish, no matter how basic at first? Or on Facebook? :) I miss using my languages (French I use most days but hardly ever Spanish) so it would be good for me too.

Popular posts from this blog

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...

Long Live Anita Bowser

You know I occasionally check my hometown newspaper's website to scan the obituaries (morbid, I know, but I'm at that age). Over this past weekend, I read the obituary of Indiana State Senator Anita Bowser . She was a noted Democrat who championed causes protecting the neediest in the state's population. She was respected on both sides of the aisle for her intelligence and plain and outspoken approach to law making. The picture on her senate page is lovely. I remember none of those things about Anita Bowser . My first year or so in college was spent at a branch of Purdue University, and in the early 80s, Anita was a political science professor. She taught my American Government class my freshman year, and she was a mess. Somewhere in my old text book, I have a sketch of her drawn on a particularly dull day in class--her hose sagged at her ankles, her slip showed at least half an inch all the way around, her hair had been slept on but not brushed, and her bright red lip stic...

A New Ride

I have a new car. I have a new car. I have a new car. I traded in my big-ass Pacifica for a Camry Hybrid. It's pretty. See? It has keyless ignition (which seems to serve no purpose but to keep you from having to put the key in the ignition). It has heated seats. It has dual climate control. It has a talking map with little flags to represent the location of restaurant--for example, Bob Evans is marked with an American flag, and a pizza shop is marked with an Italian flag. It has a sunroof which I will never open because the passing wind sucks out my ears. It also has Sirius radio, and so now I have my very own Broadway channel and the Amaazing Seth Rudestsky. I think Seth and I are going to become good friends. Cars don't bring happiness, but this one brings show tunes.