Skip to main content

A Perfect Example

I'm so happy to be back helping with English class, although I continue to wonder how much I actually help. Yesterday, I administered a spelling test to three women in the more advanced book—we all stumbled on the word "environment." It's got that tricky "n" in the middle and is so cumbersome to pronounce, most people don't bother and just sort of slur through it. I was also reminded of how confusing the "b" sound can be when switching from Spanish to English. When I asked them to spell the word "globe," one of them wrote out "glove" even though I was careful to enunciate the "b" to the point of sounding ridiculous. Interesting.

I also sat in a quieter room with the same advanced students to read through a newspaper written for people speaking English as a second language. We read about the giant carp named Benson who was found floating dead in his home lake in England. Benson was 25 years old and weighed 52 pounds. The poor guy had been hooked over 60 times in his lifetime.

We also read about a teenage boy whose family moved to the States from Guatemala illegally. The boy was very young at the time and now knows nothing about his home country. He's completely assimilated and is a star student in his high school. Still, he was arrested by the INS and was going to be deported without his family, to be sent to a country he didn't know. For some reason, the department had a change of heart, released him, and he graduated as an A student.

During class, we also made banana bread and listened to an education adviser talk about the importance of singing and playing with small children as a way to teach them language. But none of that was a real highlight for the morning. What was most impressive was a visit from a former student of the program, a beautiful Guatemalan woman who started classes eight years ago at a time when she spoke no English at all. She worked and worked while being mother to two children, studying alongside her elementary-age son, until she finally completed the GED program. She passed her diploma around the room and told all the other students not to give up even when they become so discouraged they want to cry and walk away. They all genuinely seemed to be impressed and encouraged because, really, learning a second language as an adult is more than challenging. And these people have to learn not just to speak and read English but to master basic math, geography and American history in order to completely finish the program. Because schools in rural Guatemala are hard to come by, so many of them have just a few years of education even in their native language.

Fortunately, they don't have to learn math from me because I'm lucky if I can make change from a dollar bill. Well, that might be an exaggeration, but these students really do have a lot of work ahead of them, and it was great for them to see someone reach the goal.

And about that soccer match I was hoping to cover for the newspaper this weekend, the Guatemalan players have said they won't agree to an interview or photos because the Mexicans tend to start fights on the field, and they don't want that part of the story told. They're afraid the Americans around town will think all the immigrants are volatile trouble makers. So, no soccer match for Scout the Reporter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...