Skip to main content

Oh, For A Cause Greater than High School Football

This is the week when Small Town turns itself inside out for the sake of football. Tonight is the big game between Small Town and Small Town Next Door who have had a rivalry for over 100 years. I understand hometown pride, but seriously, when I drive from place to place, I can't tell the difference between the two towns—the borders are so blurred, and I'm not always sure where those borders are in some areas.

But still, it's Spirit Week, and Small Town held it's big bonfire last night. I didn't attend.

I've written about it before—people build a huge structure out of scrap wood and cardboard that is at least two stories tall, and the football players light the thing. It blazes with heat so intense, you have to stand half a block away to keep from being singed. The fire itself is fascinating, but what I find disturbing is how these teenage football players are treated like soldiers or at least as if they're doing something more important than playing a game. The crowd cheers them, old players remember their glory days and tell them not to let us all down by losing, and then everyone hoots and hollers as the boys toss torches onto the fire. As one friend likes to say, all we need now is a virgin or two to throw on the flames.

What I like about the fire is that it's tribal, and I want a tribe. People gather together for a common cause and watch the flames and drink hot cocoa. I just wish they would gather for an actual cause that we can all get behind and not some child's game that I think gets far too much attention and far too much of the public funds meant for education as it is.

Comments

kyle@sift said…
I couldn't agree with you more. If this community could be that passionate about something that really mattered we would all be happier and healthier. When I was a student at Small Town High I tutored some of the knuckle dragging baffoons so they wouldn't get suspended from playing their barabaric game.
dive said…
Our big bonfire night celebrations (November 5th - Guy Fawkes' Night) celebrates terrorists trying to blow up Parliament and the King (yay) and involves burning poeple we don't like in effigy, setting off tons of fireworks, roasting potatoes, bobbing for apples and getting very, very drunk indeed.
November 6th usually sucks.
Madame DeFarge said…
Sometimes when you see things like this, it reminds me how close we are to being a mob. Makes me feel very uncomfortable and makes me understand why crowds do unexpectedly violent things sometimes.
Mark said…
I try to be careful of belittling another's passion. I'm the father of a 'band geek' and anti-jock, and I've seen disrespect go both ways.

It's pretty easy to make something you don't enjoy sound silly. But it's rarely productive.
MmeBenaut said…
Hear, hear! Personally, I can't stand football and in the words of someone I know "sport is for people who can't read"!

I must serve hot chocolate at our next bonfire. What a great idea.
Scout said…
Mark, I was born a band geek with anti-jock tendencies. I really do understand the appeal of a sport—my issue is with the attention football is given that I believe is out of balance with the attention given to education.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...