Skip to main content

Jugglers are Funny

Last night, I went to the local branch of Kent State University to cover a story for Small Town Newspaper. The local hospital was hosting what they called "a get-together for cancer survivors," and they brought in a comedian/juggler, Scott Burton, who was also a cancer survivor.

I was allowed to speak to him before his show, and the man, someone my age who had a form of cancer about 15 years ago that is typically found in children, was a wise soul. He didn't want to make light of cancer or suggest it's something that can be laughed away, but he recognized that humor is a natural human response and cannot be left out of something even as bad as a scary disease. It's healing and humanity, he said.

During his routine, he was clearly talking to the survivors in the room, and he drew plenty of laughs. I am not part of this club of sorts, and I found that when he talked about laughing at bad times, I wanted to cry. When he said the word "cancer' is frightening, I found it was terribly sad. Seriously, I wanted to shed tears in the audience where everyone else was guffawing at jokes and visual humor.

I wonder why that is? I think I have a pretty fair sense of humor, and I can laugh as an antidote to tragedy like anybody else, but in that setting, I was choked up. I was relieved when the guy switched from his comedy routine to juggling, which was also funny. I could focus on the pins in the air and the golf balls being shot out of his mouth. The rhythm of juggling is mesmerizing, I find, and I am always impressed by how a good juggler can use nearly every body part to keep with the beat they set for themselves.

No. 1 is quite an accomplished juggler, and I like watching her throw things into the air and catch them with such a steady pulse.

Well, back to the comedian—here is a quote of his lifted from an article he wrote for Coping magazine:

"Part of what gives laughter credence is, when we laugh, we let ourselves go. We are not so much in control anymore. We lose ourselves. Our fears dissipate."

Last night during our private interview, he said that when we laugh, we are momentarily filled with something other than ourselves. And who couldn't stand some of that?

Comments

dive said…
Jugglers are weird.
Funny, yes, but weird.
I base my prejudice on having played a season with a cabaret act of coedy jugglers, one of whom would finish his act with some escapology by being handcuffed, naked but for a thong, into a sack which was then chained up and emerging seconds later, un-cuffed and somehow dressed in full fat-Elvis regalia: suit, boots, wig, shades, rhinestones and false, hairy stomach; none of which he took into the sack with him.
Never could figure that one out.
He did, however, teach me how to make pornographic balloon animals, for which I shall be eternally grateful.
Indeed, Robyn. I would have been choked, too.

I love juggling! My youngest son (and my middle son too) is better than I though, he juggles quite expertly with professional balls, pins and just tonight he told me he's going next for glass bottles. Oh gosh how does a Mum not worry? lol......
savannah said…
"Part of what gives laughter credence is, when we laugh, we let ourselves go. We are not so much in control anymore. We lose ourselves. Our fears dissipate."

i'm going to print this out and carry it with me, sugar! 80/20, right? thanks! xoxoxoxo
MmeBenaut said…
Hear, Hear Robyn!! I had cancer when I was 26 but luckily had a brilliant surgeon who removed it all. But when I laugh, un-selfconsciously, my smile is very crooked from slight damage to my left facial nerve. You won't see this is any posed photos though - I did my exercises; still do, not that they help much any more.
I can't juggle. I can barely throw. Sometimes when I'm feeding the bird, I forget to let go of the ball of mincemeat and it ends up on the roof instead of under the oak tree. Not that that worries the birds of course.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...