Skip to main content

First Chuckle of the Day

Today's editorial for Small Town Newspaper is online this time around. It's not funny on its own, unless you like Groucho Marx, but it's about humor—you can read it here.

I had decided not to read the online comments for my editorials because they only serve to make me angry. Clearly, there are people out there who sit in front of their computers looking for a fight, and the subject of the article never gets in their way. But today, I slipped a bit on my personal rule and read them. Already, there are two who don't care what I say but want to pick on TSJ.

TSJ is short for Third Street Jim, somebody around here who comments on newspaper stories regularly from a left-of-center point of view. He backs up his statements with history and links that defend his views. And then his remarks are met with statements like, "TSJ, you're nothing but a commie." Or "TSJ, why don't you just shut up." People love this guy or they hate him, whoever he is.

But then there is a third comment, which on the surface, you might think is from someone with no sense of humor, some snot who just wants to make me furrow my brow. But I know this person—I won't give away her identity—and I know she's sitting in front of her computer smirking and stirring the pot, and I know her comment is meant to mock people who use this online commenting tool to show themselves as jerks.

Cat Panniculus (look up that word) provided my first chuckle for the day. But now I'll have to follow comments all day long to see if anyone takes her bait, to see if anyone completely misses my point and actually thinks I'm poking fun at Alzheimer's patients.

Comments

savannah said…
PERFECT! i just linked to this, sugar. y'all have made me smile! xoxoxo

(thanks for the support, darlin!)
Shan said…
That was a very encouraging article Robyn.

But, who can laugh when we know we have a season coming up that can take us from barely a stage 1, straight into a dire stage 3 panniculous by January. I don't know who in their right mind could be light hearted with this possibility on the horizon. I'm going back to bed....right after I finish this mid morning bowl of Cheetos, and perhaps a few more mellowcreme pumpkins.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...