Skip to main content

Finally, Some Shooting Stars

Have you ever seen a meteor shower like this one? Me neither. Actually, up until last night, I'd never seen one of any kind, although I have done my best to.

For several years when my girls were living at home, we tried and tried. Someone would hear news of an upcoming meteor shower, and we would set our clocks to get up in the middle of the night for the show. We'd go downstairs and look out the window, and without fail, the clouds would be too dense to see through. We'd curse the weather and go back to bed, and I would mumble something about how once before I die, I'd like to see a meteor shower. One time, we missed the thing because of clouds, and the next day people talked about what a great view they had from a hillside just on the other side of town. This is a small town, you know, so they couldn't have been more than a mile away. How is that possible, that you can barely see the trees on the west side but can see an entire meteor shower on the east?

Well, last night, I was determined. The Orionid meteor shower was passing through the atmosphere, debris from Halley's Comet, and I read that the hours before sunrise would be the best time to see it. So, I set my clock for 3:45, thinking it might take me 15 minutes or so to realize why I'd set my clock, get up, put on a coat, and go outside. At 3:45, I smacked the clock and stumbled to the bathroom to have a look out the window. Clouds, nothing but clouds. So, I went back to bed, and I seethed. But then I thought about how the sky wasn't completely covered in clouds, and what kind of person would I be if I gave up so easily? How many times do you get a chance to see a meteor shower anyway, and I would hate to hear about people seeing a great show from that eastern hillside tomorrow when I didn't even bother to go out into my own backyard.

So, finally, around 4:15 or so, I went downstairs and put a jacket on over my jammies and threw on a pair of shoes. I went out to the backyard and found myself under a sky full of bright stars, brighter than I could remember seeing in this town. The clouds had moved on. So, I aimed a chair in the direction of a good view, and within about 30 seconds, I saw my first meteor. I actually clapped for it.

Out there in my jammies and light jacket, I was terribly uncomfortable sitting in the cold metal chair, so I went back in for a warmer coat and a scarf and settled in again for more of the shower. After about 20 or 25 minutes of staring at the sky, I saw a total of six meteors including one that was sort of like dud fireworks—it flashed and then sputtered straight down, flashing on and off until it finally burned up.

Six "shooting stars" is hardly a remarkable meteor shower to witness, and I still say that some day before I die, I'd like to see a real shower, the kind that makes you gasp in amazement and overwhelms you so that you talk about it for years to come. Remember that time we saw that meteor shower, a chance of a lifetime?

I'm still waiting to collect that memory, but at least I got to see something.

Comments

MmeBenaut said…
Good for you Robyn, sticking to your guns out there in the cold. Well, six shooting stars means six wishes so I hope you chose well. Obviously one of those wishes was taken up - more meteor showers. Good luck.
Wow. Fun. Set up a long exposure! Or was that you in your jammies? Brr.

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Stupid, or What?

In two weeks, I will climb up into a charter bus, take my assigned seat, and ride 22 hours straight to Orlando, Florida. I will be a chaperon with the high school marching band, which will perform at Disney's Magic Kingdom--me and 180 people on four big buses for seven days. We will travel together, eat together, play together, fall down exhausted together--and after 22 hours, I suspect stink to high heaven together. Because of the crazy schedule, we will leave Ohio at 6 pm, travel all night and most of the next day, and spend several hours at MGM Studios before ending up at the hotel sometime after 7 pm. After I check in with the eight girls I am to supervise, I intend to shower and shower and shower. I intend to wear clean clothes and socks and brush my teeth until my toothbrush wears out. Of all the things I could be concerned about on this trip, being dirty seems to weigh heaviest on my mind. One of my eight charges could run off and do bad things with her boyfriend, but I'...

No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's good to be a nice person--to say nice things, to do nice things, to write nice things--but I declare an end to the use of the word nice. Nice is what you say when you can't think of any other adjective. Someone shows you a picture of their back yard--that's nice. Someone tells you about their afternoon adventure--that's nice. Or someone describes their childhood in great detail and sometimes with painstaking effort--that's nice. It's a lazy word, and it's non-descriptive. Nice is like mashed potatoes with noodles and chicken gravy all in a big pile on one plate with some canned corn for garnish. Everything is the same color and texture and base substance--starch (this is a favorite Amish dish). Nice is like a partly cloudy day in April when outside feels like inside, and you can't tell a difference between the lighting and the temperature of your living room and the lighting and temperature of your front yard. Nice is a glass of lukewarm water. ...

An Offending Pile

So, I'm standing in my living room letting my mind wander for a minute or two as I stare out the window and watch the day go by, and I see my neighbors walking their dogs down the street. They are nice neighbors who are always friendly and responsible with their property. That is to say they aren't like the other neighbors who heap rubbish behind their house like Ma and Pa Kettle and let their dogs bark for thirty minutes at a time . Anyway, I see the nice people walking their dogs, a big golden retriever who is as sweet as can be and as dumb as a post—he once ate a sock and nearly died before it was surgically removed—and a new golden retriever puppy. Then I see Neighbor Wife suddenly run down the street with the big dog. Then I see Neighbor Husband stopped in front of my house with the puppy on its leash. And then I see the puppy taking a huge dump in my grass. Let me tell you, that is not done in this town unless the dog owner has a plastic bag handy and is ready to pick up ...